A horrifying discovery this night before Trans Day of Remembrance – reports of the violent deaths of three more gender non-conforming and trans neighbors came to light.
Thank you to The Advocate for excellent reporting on heartbreaking and tragic stories.
Photo of Yunieski Carey Herrera via The Advocate
Miami transgender performer and activist Yunieski Carey Herrera, also known as Yuni Carey, was stabbed to death in her condo Tuesday, and her partner has been charged with second-degree murder.
Carey, 39, was well known as a salsa dancer, model, and frequent contestant — and winner — in beauty pageants, and she was a beloved figure in Miami’s LGBTQ+ community as well as in Los Angeles and elsewhere.
The figure reflects two deaths that occurred several months ago but have just come to the attention of national activists. Lea Rayshon Daye, a 28-year-old Black trans woman, was found unresponsive in the Cuyahoga County Jail in Cleveland August 30 and died shortly thereafter. She had been held in the jail since mid-May. While her death remains under investigation, the Human Rights Campaign has added her to its list of those who’ve died due to violence.
Scott DeVore, also known as Scottlynn Kelly DeVore, of Augusta, Ga., was found dead near a Georgia highway March 30 after having been missing for two weeks. DeVore was a 51-year-old white gender-nonconforming person, and it’s unclear what name or pronouns they would have preferred, according to HRC. But DeVore “appeared to have been presenting as Scottlynn when leaving home for the last time,” HRC notes.
Ronald Harris Jr., 40, of Wrens, Ga., has been charged with murdering DeVore, The Augusta Chronicle reports. An arrest warrant says DeVore was choked to death near their apartment building, and their body then put in a car and dumped near Wrens, about 30 miles from Augusta. Ronald and Margaret Harris had initially been arrested on charges of burglarizing DeVore’s home. It’s not clear from media reports if the Harrises are married, siblings, or otherwise related.
I really am grateful to The Advocate, HRC, and PlanetTransgender for their coverage of the lives and deaths of our neighbors.
Rest in power Yuni, Leah, and Scottlynn. Your lives had value and dignity. You deserved to continue to move through this world without fear.
I will update this post as more detail is available. I wanted to be sure they were included in TDOR coverage, hence the hasty post.
My list of transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary neighbors who have lost their lives to violent deaths in the US during 2020.
- Dustin Parker – McAlester, Oklahoma. January 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Alexa Negron Luciano – Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. February 24, 2020. Age 29.
- Yampi Mendez Arocho – Moca, Puerto Rico, March 5, 2020. Age 19.
- Monica Diamond – Charlotte, North Carolina. March 18, 2020. Age 34.
- Lexi – Harlem, New York City, New York. March 28, 2020. Age 33.
- Johanna Metzger – Baltimore, Maryland. April 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Serena Angelique Velazquezz – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 32.
- Layla Pelaez – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 21.
- Penélope Díaz Ramírez – Puerto Rico. April 13, 2020. Age 31
- Nina Pop – Sikeston, Missouri. May 3, 2020. Age 28.
- Helle Jae O’Regan – San Antonio, Texas. May 6, 2020. Age 20.
- Tony McDade – Tallahassee, Florida. May 27, 2020. Age 38.
- Dominique Rem’mie Fells – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. June 8, 2020. Age 27.
- Riah Milton – Liberty Township, Ohio. June 9, 2020. Age 25.
- Selena Reyes Hernandez – Chicago. May 31, 2020. Age 37.
- Brayla Stone – Sherwood, Arkansas. June 25, 2020. Age 17.
- Merci Mack – Dallas, June 30, 2020. Age 22.
- Jayne Thompson – Colorado, May 2020. Age 33.
- Bree Black – Pompana Beach, Florida, July 3, 2020. Age 27.
- Draya McCarty – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, July 2020. Age unknown.
- Shaki Peters – Amite, Louisiana, July 1, 2020. Age 32.
- Marilyn Cazares – Brawley, California, July 13, 2020. Age 22.
- Tatiana Hall – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, approx June 29, 2020. Age 22.
- Queasha Hardy – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, July 27, 2020. Age 24.
- Tiffany Harris – Bronx, New York, July 26, 2020. Age 32.
- Aja Raquell Rhone-Spears – Portland, Oregon, July 28, 2020. Age 32.
- Aerrion Burnett – Independence, Missouri, September 19, 2020. Age 37.
- Mia Green – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 28, 2020. Age 29.
- Michelle Ramos Vargas – Puerto Rico, September 30, 2020. Age 33.
- Kee Sam – Lafayette, Louisiana, August 12, 2020. Age 24.
- Felycya Harris – Augusta, Georgia, October 3, 2020. Age 32.
- Brooklyn DeShauna Smith – Shreveport, Louisiana, October 7, 2020. Age 20.
- Sara Blackwood – Indianapolis, Indiana, October 11, 2020. Age 39.
- Angel Haynes – Memphis, Tennessee, October 25, 2020. Age 25.
- Lea Rayshone Daye – Cleveland, Ohio, August 30, 2020. Age 28.
- Scott DeVore, also known as Scottlynn Kelly DeVore – Augusta, Georgia, March 31, 2020. Age 51
Please do not cut and paste this list to share without a link to the post. Thank you.