Monday morning at 8 AM Philadelphia police pulled over a 2016 Jeep and discovered a 29-year-old Black trans woman shot in the front seat. She died later at a local hospital. Her name was Mia Green
The driver, Abdullah Ibn El-Amin Jaamia, was arrested and charged with murder.
Philadephia trans activist Deja Lynn Alvarez has words about this latest form of interpersonal violence targeting Black trans women
For all of the folks that see this I want to make sure that it is very clear this young lady was not murdered by someone who did not know her or by someone who did not know that she was transgender. She was murdered by someone that she had a long intimate relationship with which is more often than not the case! STOP BLAMING TRANS PEOPLE FOR THEIR OWN MURDERS!
Mia is the 28th trans person to die from transphobic violence in 2020. She’s the fourth trans woman whose murder has ties to Philadelphia. In April Johanna Metzger was murdered while in Baltimore. Rem’mie Fells was killed in June. And later that month Tatiana Hall was murdered while visiting Philadelphia. All four died under different circumstances save their youth (all under the age of 30) and their identity as transgender women.
No word yet on vigils or memorials or final arrangements. There is not much personal detail available about Mia. But she was loved, her life mattered, and she will be missed.
Rest in power, Mia. 29 were far too few years for you to walk with us on this earth. I am so sorry you could not trust someone you knew with your life. None of this makes sense, but your audacity to live your authentic self has changed the world around you.
My list of transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary neighbors who have lost their lives to violent deaths in the US during 2020.
- Dustin Parker – McAlester, Oklahoma. January 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Alexa Negron Luciano – Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. February 24, 2020. Age 29.
- Yampi Mendez Arocho – Moca, Puerto Rico, March 5, 2020. Age 19.
- Monica Diamond – Charlotte, North Carolina. March 18, 2020. Age 34.
- Lexi – Harlem, New York City, New York. March 28, 2020. Age 33.
- Johanna Metzger – Baltimore, Maryland. April 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Serena Angelique Velazquezz – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 32.
- Layla Pelaez – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 21.
- Penélope Díaz Ramírez – Puerto Rico. April 13, 2020. Age 31
- Nina Pop – Sikeston, Missouri. May 3, 2020. Age 28.
- Helle Jae O’Regan – San Antonio, Texas. May 6, 2020. Age 20.
- Tony McDade – Tallahassee, Florida. May 27, 2020. Age 38.
- Dominique Rem’mie Fells – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. June 8, 2020. Age 27.
- Riah Milton – Liberty Township, Ohio. June 9, 2020. Age 25.
- Selena Reyes Hernandez – Chicago. May 31, 2020. Age 37.
- Brayla Stone – Sherwood, Arkansas. June 25, 2020. Age 17.
- Merci Mack – Dallas, June 30, 2020. Age 22.
- Jayne Thompson – Colorado, May 2020. Age 33.
- Bree Black – Pompana Beach, Florida, July 3, 2020. Age 27.
- Draya McCarty – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, July 2020. Age unknown.
- Shaki Peters – Amite, Louisiana, July 1, 2020. Age 32.
- Marilyn Cazares – Brawley, California, July 13, 2020. Age 22.
- Tatiana Hall – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, approx June 29, 2020. Age 22.
- Queasha Hardy – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, July 27, 2020. Age 24.
- Tiffany Harris – Bronx, New York, July 26, 2020. Age 32.
- Aja Raquell Rhone-Spears – Portland, Oregon, July 28, 2020. Age 32.
- Aerrion Burnett – Independence, Missouri, September 19, 2020. Age 37.
- Mia Green – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, September 28, 2020. Age 29.
Please do not cut and paste this list to share without a link to the post. Thank you.