Nina Pop was 28 years old when she was killed, making her the 10th transgender person known to be murdered in the U.S. this year. She died on May 3, 2020.
She was born and raised in Sikeston, Missouri. Sikeston is about 145 miles south of St. Louis. She worked in a local restaurant and had friends & family who loved her.
According to local news sources, police responded to a call and found Nina’s body. She had been assaulted and died from her injuries. They characterize her death as a fatal stabbing. Police are investigating.
Both media outlets and police have misgendered and deadnamed Nina. Her family coordinated a vigil Tuesday evening. No word yet on final arrangements.
Rest in power, Nina. Your time on earth was too brief, but you made your mark on your friends and family who love you. We will always say her name as we remember and honor our lost neighbors.
My list of transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary neighbors who have lost their lives to violent deaths in the US during 2020.
- Dustin Parker– McAlester, Oklahoma. January 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Alexa Negron Luciano– Toa Baja, Puerto Rico. February 24, 2020. Age 29.
- Yampi Mendez Arocho– Moca, Puerto Rico, March 5, 2020. Age 19.
- Monica Diamond– Charlotte, North Carolina. March 18, 2020. Age 34.
- Lexi– Harlem, New York City, New York. March 28, 2020. Age 33.
- Johanna Metzger– Baltimore, Maryland. April 1, 2020. Age 25.
- Serena Angelique Velazquezz – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 32.
- Layla Pelaez – Puerto Rico. April 22, 2020. Age 21.
- Penélope Díaz Ramírez – Puerto Rico. April 13, 2020. Age 31
- Nina Pop – Sikeston, Missouri. May 3, 2020. Age 28.