Since 1999 we have honored and acknowledged the bi+ community.
Bisexual+ Awareness Week seeks to accelerate acceptance of the bi+ (pansexual, fluid, no label, queer, etc.) community. #BiWeek draws attention to the experiences, while also celebrating the resiliency of, the bisexual+ community.
Throughout #BiWeek, allies and bi+ people learn about the history, culture, community, and current policy priorities of bi+ communities.
Bi+ folks make up 51% of the LGBTQ community, yet they are often the most underrepresented and invisible members of our community. About 26% of our contributors identify under the bisexual umbrella, even with the option to remain anonymous. Fear and erasure rob all of us of our community’s robust stories.
What does the bi community look like in Pittsburgh? I could try to summarize, butI think it is honestly better if you read the first person accounts from our bi neighbors as listed below. There’s no one universal experience or solution. I have learned so much from these wonderful neighbors and friends.
Please consider joining this Facebook group to connect with the bisexual community in Pittsburgh and Western PA.
For more valuable information, please read this report from the Movement Advancement Project – and take note of a prominent Pittsburgh bisexual person on the cover who also submitted an #AMPLIFY post.
I hope you will take some time to read these posts and reflect on the experiences of your bisexual neighbors today and other days. This list is not exhaustive so feel free to read the larger archive. To read more about AMPLIFY, please visit the homepage for the project.
And we’d love to include your story as we move forward if you are bi+ or an LGTQ ally to the bi community. Click here to fill out the Q&A. It takes about 30 minutes. To be eligible, you should be 18+, identify as LGBTQ+, and have ties to Western PA. You are welcome to share your story.
If you aren’t part of this group, I hope you see some piece of your story reflected and find comfort in that visibility. You deserve to be loved and supported. You deserve to be seen and heard.
- AMPLIFY! Donna Met a Female Impersonator Who Made a Lasting Impression
- AMPLIFY! Gina Shares Her Truth With Those Who Deserve To Know
- AMPLIFY! Paula Speaks Out About Bisexual Exclusion and Bi Erasure
- Coley Claims To Be Invisible in Plain Sight #AMPLIFY
- Kitty Is Out and Open as a Bisexual Trans Woman in Erie County #AMPLIFY
- Ashe Believes To Be Queer Is To Be Yourself #AMPLIFY
- Anonymous Grieves How Pgh’s Lesbian & Gay Community Treats Bisexuals #AMPLIFY
- Raven Has Not Told Anyone That She’s Pansexual Because She’s Afraid #AMPLIFY
- Erin Answered These Questions To Challenge Bisexual Erasure #AMPLIFY
- Jean Came Out As Bisexual After Her Retirement #AMPLIFY
- Niki Talks About Living as a Gender Queer Trans Woman in Pittsburgh #AMPLIFY
- Ade is Pansexual, Androgynous and Finds Comfort in Their UU Community #AMPLIFY
- Elliot is Bi, Trans and Wishes Westmoreland County Was Talking More About Queer Youth
- Heather Refuses To Marginalize Herself As a Bisexual Woman #AMPLIFY
- Lela Wants Bisexual Voices To Be Heard #AMPLIFY
- Minion Wants To Talk About What It Means to be a Queer, Black, Futch Leathergirl #AMPLIFY
- Ama, 30, is a Girl Who Likes Girls and Who Likes Guys #AMPLIFY
- Tylor, 30, Is a Pansexual Trans Man Who Wants Better For Young People #AMPLIFY
- Mia Donna Has Wild Happy Life as a Pansexual Polyamorous Person #AMPLIFY
- Maggio, 28, is Unapologetically a Bi-sexual Queer Feminist Scholar #AMPLIFY
- Rachel, 30, is in the Process of Coming Out as Bisexual #AMPLIFY
- Staci, 52, Wants More Representation For The Bi Community #AMPLIFY
- alexis, 29, talks compensation & community for marginalized lgbtq neighbors #AMPLIFY
- Mel, 40: Bi, Queer and Pan Folks Don’t Always Speak in a Gay or Lesbian Voice #AMPLIFY
- Kim, 40, Mother, Pansexual, Mexican-American & Washington Co Resident #AMPLIFY
- Avery is a Bisexual, Latino Trans Man in Cambria County #AMPLIFY
- Jessica, 28, Is Resisting Bisexual Erasure in Pgh #AMPLIFY
- Dominic, 18, Is a Bisexual Man Finding His Comfort Zone in College #AMPLIFY
- Janet, 66, is Bisexual, Cisgender and Gender Nonconforming
- Ciora, 27, Says Trans People Have the Strength of Two Souls
- Lavi, 29, is Trans Queer Bi and Wants Your Respect & Support
- Alexa, 22, Talks About Acceptance as a Bisexual Woman #AMPLIFY
- Ira, 30, Identifies as Pansexual, Genderqueer and Possibly Agender
- Vi, 24, Is Very Concerned About Trans Health Issues in Pittsburgh #AMPLIFY4
- Tara, 29, Describes Life in the Shenango Valley as a Bisexual Woman #AMPLIFY
- Ravenna, 37, Pansexual Trans Woman Living in the Allegheny County Suburbs
- Vanessa, 31, Describes Her Transition & Life as Pansexual in Washington County
- Leo, 42, is a Bi Man in Erie County Who Wants to be Heard #AMPLIFY
- Kyle Discusses Privilege & Perception of Gay, White, Cisgender Men #AMPLIFY
- Brandon, 23, Identifies as a Pansexual Genderqueer Male
- Jesse, 28, Helps To Build New LGBTQ Community Supports in Mercer County #AMPLIFY
- Megan, 22, is a Bisexual Woman Using Her Voice To Grow Her Community #AMPLIFY
- Tyler, 18, is a Pansexual Trans Man in Erie #AMPLIFY
- Chica Discusses Her Bisexuality to Show Solidarity #AMPLIFY
- Krissy, 34, Talks About Step Parenting as a Bisexual Woman #AMPLIFY
- Seth, 21, Came Out as Bi and Trans Via Power Point #AMPLIFY
- Tanha, 36, is a Queer, Bisexual Woman in Erie #AMPLIFY
- Selene, 60, is genderfluid, pansexual, femme-presenting, neuroqueer and more
- Krista, 28, Lives in Washington, PA as a Pansexual Woman
- Angie, 32: Out, Loud, and Proud Black Pansexual Mom #AMPLIFY
- Roxxie Thunder, 27, is a Glittery Pansexual Femme from Beaver County
- Jamaica, 41, is Bisexual and Wants the Pgh Queer Community to Have a Voice #AMPLIFY
- Carmen is 42, Bisexual, and Resonates With Genderfluid Identity #AMPLIFY
- Morgan, 31, is a Black, Bisexual, Queer, Polyamorous Woman & Mother #AMPLIFY
- Lisa, 47, is a Bi Woman Trying to Find Community in Pittsburgh
- Amy, 46, is Bi in Pittsburgh, But Not Really Out
- Alexia, 40, is Bisexual, Transgender, and Loves Pittsburgh
- Reece, 31, Grew up in Southern Virginia, but Found LGBTQ Connections in Pittsburgh
- Hilary, 44, Works Hard to Boost Pansexual Identity in Erie County
- Helen, 51, Came Out as Bisexual in the Army National Guard
- Laura, 42, is a Bisexual Mom in Pittsburgh
- Dan, 36, is a Bisexual Man in Pittsburgh Who Wants to Build a Better World
- Jennifer is 40, Bisexual, and a Fan of Sara Lance
- Winter, 18, Identifies as a Genderquestioning Bisexual Person
- He’s a cisgender polyamorous bisexual guy, but nobody asks
- Madison, 40, is a Pansexual, Trans Woman Who Loves Pittsburgh
- Rae, 48, is a Pansexual Trans Woman Living in Allegheny County
- Kyle, 22, is a Bisexual, Vegetarian from Crawford County
- Hutch, 57, Marched With Harvey Milk and Knows We Have Miles To Go
- Jess, 22, is a Poly, Bisexual Woman in Pittsburgh
- Louie, 50, Identifies as Queer, Pansexual, & Kinky
- Carla, 39, Identifies as a Bisexual, Non-Binary Scientist and Educator
- Rachael, 21, Describes Bisexual Life in Rural Western PA
- Flip, 32, Describes Rural & Urban Life as a Pansexual, Queer Man
- Lisa Moondrop, 33, Has a Voice as a Bisexual Person in Western Pennsylvaia
- Eli, 37, is a Queer Bisexual, Trans Man, and Small Business Owner
- Suzanne, 39, never felt that honoring her orientation was even an option
- Ashley, 18, is a Bisexual/Queer Woman Attending College in Allegheny County
- B, 28, Feels Alone As a Bisexual Person in Beaver County #AMPLIFY
- Destiny, 24, is Deaf, Autistic, Androgyne, and Bisexual #AMPLIFY
- Castiel, 36, is Bisexual and Gender Fluid in Westmoreland County #AMPLIFY
- Anonymouse, 62, is an Atypical Late Blooming Bisexual in Somerset County #AMPLIFY
For 18+ years, snowflakes, social justice warriors, and the politically correct have built this blog. Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
We need your ongoing support to maintain this archive and continue the work. Please consider becoming a patron of this blog with a recurring monthly donation or make a one-time donation.
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.