Jaida Peterson was a 29-year-old Black trans woman living in Charlotte, North Carolina. Her death on April 4, 2021 makes her the 15th transgender or gender nonconforming neighbor to be killed this year.
From WCCB Charlotte (misgendering and deadnaming at site)
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department is investigating a homicide after finding an unresponsive person in a west Charlotte hotel room Sunday afternoon. Officers responded to a hotel located on Queen City Drive around 1:50 p.m. after receiving a welfare check call. Upon arrival, officers found an unresponsive person in a room. Police say Medic responded and pronounced the victim, identified as a 29-year-old, dead at the scene.
Her death was deemed a homicide by police. The organization Charlotte Uprising held a vigil for her on April 9 and raised funds for her funeral, held on April 13. The kindness of neighbors, known and unknown, to wrap Jaida in love for her final arrangements is the only beauty here. But it is powerful.
Originally from Florence, South Carolina, Jaida’s social media feeds reflect her love and affection for her friends. She deserved so much more.
Jaida is the sixteenth trans, nonbinary or gender nonconforming person reported killed in 2021. Fifteen of these neighbors have been BIPOC. She is the twelfth victim who identified as Black. In total, there have been SIXTEEN murders or suspicious deaths in the first 77 days of 2021, an average of one death every 4.8 days. So far. That we know of as many deaths go unreported or unacknowledged. Note – in this summary, I include suspicious deaths that as you can read below are often later confirmed homicides.
Rest in power, Jaida. You deserved a long life filled with joy and happiness. I am sorry we lost you. May you memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, gender-nonconforming, and non-binary neighbors lost to violence in 2021. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
- Tyianna Davarea Alexandra – Chicago, Illinois. January 6, 2021. Age 28.
- Samuel Edmund Damián Valentín – Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. January 9, 2021. Age 21.
- Dominique Jackson – Jackson, Mississippi. January 25, 2021. Age 30.
- Bianca ‘Muffin’ Bankz – Atlanta, Georgia. January 21, 2021. Age 31.
- Fifty Bandzzz – Baton Rouge, Louisiana. January 28, 2021. Age 21.
- Alexus “Kimmy” Braxton – Miami, Florida. February 4, 2021. Age 45.
- Chynaa Carrillo – New Wilmington, Pennsylvania. February 18, 2021. Age 24.
- Jeffrey ‘JJ’ Bright – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 16.
- Jasmine Cannady – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 22.
- Jenna Franks – Jacksonville, North Carolina, February 24, 2021. Age 34. **
- Diamond Nicole ‘Kyree’ Sanders – Cincinnati, Ohio. March 3, 2021. Age 23.
- Rayanna Pardo – Los Angeles, California, March 17, 2021. Age 26. ***
- Aidelen Evans – Port Arthur, Texas, March 2021. Age 24 ****
- Dominique Lucious – Springfield, Missouri, April 8, 2021. Age 26.
- Jaida Peterson – Charlotte, North Carolina, April 4, 2021. Age 29.
** Jenna’s death was originally reported as suspicious, but has since been reported as a homicide. *** Rayanna’s cause of death was originally undetermined, but has since been reported as a homicide. **** Aidelen’s cause of death was unspecified, but has since been reported as a homicide
We are also still monitoring these supicious deaths from 20/21 (in addition to the 44 documented killings.)
- Fendi Mon’ezah Armstrong – Lithonia, Georgia, November 11, 2020. Age 39
- Kimberely Patricia Cope – Athens, Georgia, December 27, 2020. Age 40.
- Natasha Keianna – Detroit, Michigan, January 12, 2021. Age 37.
- Bonaire ‘Bonnie’ Black – Atlanta, Georgia, December 31, 2020. Age 19.
- Koko Nia Labeija – Chicago, Illinois, Found June 2020, Identified April 2021, Age 19.