The heartache of her friends and loved ones was raging throughout Facebook today. The news that 23-year-old Zoe Spears had been found by police responding to a welfare check just before midnight on Thursday, June 13 in the Fairmount Heights section of Prince George’s County, Maryland, close to the D.C. line.
Zoe had sustained multiple gunshot wounds and died from those injuries soon after.
On March 30, 27-year-old Ashanti Carmon who is also a Black Trans woman was also shot to death in the neighborhood, just a few blocks away. Police confirm that while the two women did know one another, they have nothing to suggest their murders are connected.
Zoe was connected to Casa Ruby LGBT Community Center in Northwest DC. Founder and leader Ruby Corado confirmed Zoe’s identity to the media and is mourning her friend.
I Only Have Love & Pain In My Heart ❤️
This is my suggestion – please make a donation in Zoe’s memory to Casa Ruby.
Rest in power, Zoe. You deserved a bright future filled with the love and support of your friends and loved ones. May we continue working to bring justice for your death and honor the spirit with which you embraced life.
My list of transgender neighbors lost during the calendar year 2019.
- Dana Martin – Montgomery, Alabama. January 6, 2019. Age: 31.
- Ashanti Carmon – Fairmount Heights, Maryland. March 30, 2019. Age: 27
- Claire Legato – Cleveland. May 14, 2019. Age: 21
- Muhlaysia Booker – Dallas. May 18, 2019. Age 23.
- Michelle Simone Tameka Washington – Philadelphia, May 19, 2019. Age 40.
- Paris Cameron – Detroit, May 25, 2019. Age 20.
- Chynal Lindsey – Dallas, June 1, 2019. Age 26.
- Chanel Scurlock – Lumberton, North Carolina, June 5, 2029. Age 23.
- Jazzaline Ware – Memphis, Tennessee, March 2019. Age 34. **
- Zoe Spears – Fairmount Heights, Maryland. June 14, 2019. Age 23
** Jazzaline Ware’s body was discovered in her apartment in Memphis, Tennessee in March. Cause of death was originally death by suicide, but according to The Advocate, authorities are now investigating her death as a homicide.