Her name was Chanel Scurlock. She was 23 years-old. And this week she became the 8th Black transwoman to be murdered in 2019.
Her body was discovered on Wednesday, June 5, outside Lumberton, North Carolina. Local law enforcement and media are dead naming and misgendering Chanel, resulting in ongoing challenges collecting the facts and finding the murderer.
The Advocate reports that trans activist Monica Roberts and friends posting on Facebook identified her as a trans woman. Scurlock lived in Lumber Bridge, about 20 miles from Lumberton, in the southern part of the state.
Chanel was shot to death. Police have located the vehicle she was driving, but there are few additional details.
Chanel’s mother Brenda told WRAL that somebody had removed Chantel’s Facebook content and that she had made plans Tuesday night to meet with that person. Please note that Ms Scurlock uses male pronouns to describe her child.
Rest in power, Chanel. You deserved a life filled with love, appreciation, and joy.
My list of transgender neighbors lost during the calendar year 2019.
- Dana Martin – Montgomery, Alabama. January 6, 2019. Age: 31.
- Ashanti Carmon – Fairmount Heights, Maryland. March 30, 2019. Age: 27
- Claire Legato – Cleveland. May 14, 2019. Age: 21
- Muhlaysia Booker – Dallas. May 18, 2019. Age 23.
- Michelle Simone Tameka Washington – Philadelphia, May 19, 2019. Age 40.
- Paris Cameron – Detroit, May 25, 2019. Age 20.
- Chynal Lindsey – Dallas, June 1, 2019. Age 26.
- Chanel Scurlock – Lumberton, North Carolina, June 5, 2029. Age 23.