Gun violence in Toledo claimed the lives of a Black trans woman and a gender nonconforming gay Black man, both age 21. They were best friends, killed by gunfire in the same incident.
Two adults were taken to the hospital in critical condition after a shooting around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. A press release from the Toledo Police Department said Kejaun Richardson and Amiri Jean Reid, both 21, were shot and killed Tuesday evening.
According to the press release, officers were dispatched to the area of Rosedale and Bluff. When officers arrived, they found the victims each suffering from gunshot wounds. The coroner’s office report said an autopsy found Reid died from two gunshot wounds to the head and Richardson died from two gunshot wounds to the head and neck.
Police at the scene were searching a vehicle that appeared to have run off the road and had a window shot out.
No suspects have been identified. If you possess relevant details, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 419-255-1111.
Honoring Amiri and KeJuan
Without a doubt, it is absolutely heartbreaking to have this tremendous loss just hours from my hometown in Pittsburgh. So young, so young. Sunday is the Transgender Day of Remembrance so things have already been incredibly somber preparing those lists recognizing 392 individual people who died from 1 October 2022 to 30 September 2023. While my list is not a TDOR compilation, instead focusing exclusively on violent deaths in the United States, I was appalled to realize that 72% of the people on the list were 30 or younger. Even sadder now is the reality that I now have seven young TGNC folx 21 and under. They represent 20% of the names on my list.
Indeed, how does that not make us scream in agony? How many fronts can this battle have?
Above all, it breaks my heart even more so to realize that our dedicated efforts to #ProtectTransKids fall woefully short. Obviously, we are literally not succeeding. In addition, trans affirming policies in just 30 out of 500 Pennsylvania school districts, the end of our Pittsburgh based #ProtectTransKids project, the horrific number of youth dying by suicide, and the vile spewings that pass for political rhetoric every day.
But Amiri and KeJuan were in a car, not a school. They were both shot multiple times by another driver. There’s nothing romantic or comforting that they died together. They were shot, wrecked their car, probably dazed and scared and maybe knowing they were going to die. One hopes people find small comforts in these moments to ease their fear. But that’s more likely to comfort us.
They died at age 21 while driving around their hometown. Without a doubt, they should have been safe. They should not have been statistically more at risk doing that than any other young people.
Kejuan Richardson, 21, was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio. He went to Woodward High School. He’s been working for KFC since 2018. He liked The Avengers movies, basketball, and supporting local businesses, especially restaurants. Kejuan was a gay Black gender nonconforming person, much beloved by friends and family.
Amiri Jean Richardson was also 21 and identified as a Black trans woman. Amari had a ribald sense of humor enjoying word play and a positive . She also shared experiences of transphobia in her social media feed. She followed boxing and popular musicians.
Also, friends are sharing their love for both
More recently, friends organized a vigil in Toledo.
At this time, Amiri and KeJuan are the 37th and 38th trans or gender nonconforming people whose violent deaths have been reported in 2023. Amiri is the 30th trans woman on this list, the 16th Black trans woman, and the 21st Black trans person on this list. KeJuan is the fifth gender nonconforming person whose death has been reported and the 22nd Black person on this list. Last year, we reported on the deaths of 40 people. We are careful to say “reported” as a qualifier. We know there are more folx whose deaths remain unacknowledged. Indeed we have included an unidentified person whose remains were discovered this year on our list. I am so sad to realize we will likely exceed 40 reported deaths before the end of the year.
Rest in power, Amiri and KeJuan. Thank you for the love and laughter you brought to this world. The grief of your friends demonstrates the impact you had on people around you, their tears a torrent of our sadness over your deaths. You both deserved so many more years to grow into your adult lives. I am sorry we failed to create a safer world for you.
May your memories be a revolution.
This is our list
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2023. Please do not copy, modify, or share this list without attribution.
- Jasmine ‘Star’ Mack – District of Columbia, January 7, 2023. Age 36.
- KC Johnson – Wilmington, North Carolina, January 13, 2023. Age 27.
- Tortuguita – Weelaunee Forest, Georgia, January 18, 2023. Age 26.
- Unique Banks – Chicago, Illinois, January 23, 2023. Age 21.
- Zachee Imanitwitaho – Louisville, Kentucky, February 3, 2023. Age 26.
- Maria Jose Rivera Rivera – Houston, Texas, January 21, 2023. Age 22.
- Cashay Henderson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 27, 2023. Age 31.
- Tasiyah ‘Siyah’ Woodland – Mechanicsville, Maryland, March 24, 2023. Age 18.
- Ashley Burton – Atlanta, Georgia, April 11, 2023. Age 37.
- Rasheeda Williams – Atlanta, Georgia, April 18, 2023. Age 35.
- Banko Brown – San Francisco, California, April 27, 2023. Age 24.
- Ashia Davis – Detroit, Michigan, June 2, 2023. Age 34
- Chanell Perez Ortiz – Carolina, Puerto Rico, June 25, 2023. Age 29.
- Jacob Williamson – Pageland, South Carolina, July 4, 2023, Age 18.
- Camdyn Rider – Winter Haven, Florida, July 21, 2023. Age 21.
- Kylie Monali – Riverside, California, September 7, 2022, Reported September 2023.
- DéVonnie J’Rae Johnson – Los Angeles, California, August 7, 2023. Age 27.
- Thomas ‘Tom-Tom’ Robinson – Calumet, Indiana, August 17, 2023. Age 28.
- Charm Wilson – Cleveland, Ohio, September 8, 2023. Age 32.
- Bre’Asia Bankz – Arizona, September 5, 2023. Age 27.
- Alexa Sokova – Palm Bay, Florida, September 5, 2023. Age 30.
- YOKO – New Orleans Louisiana, September 19, 2023. Age 30.
- Codii Lawrence – Weirton, West Virginia, September 5, 2023. Age 25.
- Unidentified Person – Dallas, Texas,. July 2023. Age unknown
- Dolli Goins – Eugene, Oregon, August 10, 2023. Age 27.
- Luis Ángel Díaz Castro – San Juan, Puerto Rico, August 12, 2023. Age 22.
- Thaddeus ‘Tad’ Keegan Bradley – Mendocino, California, Sept 21st, 2021. Reported April 27, 2023.
- Sherlyn Marjorie – Albuquerque, Nex Mexico, September 17, 2023. Age 35.
- Chyna Long – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 8, 2023. Age 20.
- Skylar Harrison – Washington, DC, October 2, 2023. Age 30.
- A’Nee Johnson – Washington, DC, October 14, 2023. Age 30.
- Dominic Palace Dupree – Chicago, Illinois, October 13, 2023. Age 25.
- Lisa Love -Chicago, Illinois, October19, 2023. Age 35.
- Lovely Page – Chicago, Illinois, August 16, 2023. Age 54.
- London Price – Miami, Florida, October 23, 2023. Age 26.
- LaKendra Andrews – Dallas, Texas, April 29, 2023. Age 26.
- Kejuan Richardson – Toledo, Ohio, November 14, 2023. Age 21.
- Amiri Jean Richardson – Toledo, Ohio, November 14, 2023. Age 21.