An unidentified person who died in Eugene, Oregon in early August has been identified as 27 year old Dolli Goins.
On August 10, 2023 the body of a deceased person was discovered by a passerby in front of the St. Vincent de Paul used car lot, State Hwy 99 North. The decedent was recognizable and had only been deceased for a matter of hours.
Born in Eugene, Oregon, white trans woman Dolli Goins enjoyed watching television, music, reading and spending time with friends.
According to her father when describing her final days:
“I do not claim to know [Dolli] state of mind on August 9th but she made the decision to walk away from her support group of friends in Albany with out notifying any of them.
[Dolli] ended up in contact with a Linn County Sheriff’s deputy who agreed to give her a ride into Lane County. The report is that there are more resources in Lane County.
[Dolli] was last seen walking south through Junction City on August 9th after that contact with the deputy. Jenny and I want to believe that [Dolli] was going to obtain assistance.
That night she lay down near HWY 99 and placed her hand behind her head.”
Dolli’s parents continue to misgender her and use her deadname. While that’s sadly too common, one thing that struck me was the references to mental illness and addiction as contributors to her death, but no mention of the role that family rejection plays in the vulnerability of young people. The research is very clear -acceptance by one adult can reduce the risk of suicidality by 33%.
Dolli deserved loving acceptance, not tough love. She didn’t die with a smile on her face at peace with a world that rejected and dismissed her. She’s not better off or in a better place. We should have created better places for her in Oregon. The whimsical, quixotic narrative is no less helpful.
Still, I don’t know much about Dolli. Her social media profile is new. I haven’t found friends to talk with. I hope this post brings them out so we can understand her life better. Still, I know she deserved to walk through a safe and careful world.
We sadly acknowledge Dolli as the 34th trans or gender nonconforming person whose violent death has been reported in 2023. She is the 27th trans woman. Dolli was included in this list when her death was made known, but her identity was not. We are updating. A trans person has been killed in the US every 8.47 days in 2023. “Reported” is an important distinction to make as we know there are more folx whose deaths remain unacknowledged. In fact, we still have on unidentified person whose remains were discovered this year.
Rest in power, Dolli. Your life was important and had value. I am so sorry that the people who needed to show up for you the most continue to erase your truth. I am sorry we collectively did not create a safer world to protect and cherish you. You deserved all of those things.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2023. Please do not copy, modify, or share this list without attribution.
- Jasmine ‘Star’ Mack – District of Columbia, January 7, 2023. Age 36.
- KC Johnson – Wilmington, North Carolina, January 13, 2023. Age 27.
- Tortuguita – Weelaunee Forest, Georgia, January 18, 2023. Age 26.
- Unique Banks – Chicago, Illinois, January 23, 2023. Age 21.
- Zachee Imanitwitaho – Louisville, Kentucky, February 3, 2023. Age 26.
- Maria Jose Rivera Rivera – Houston, Texas, January 21, 2023. Age 22.
- Cashay Henderson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 27, 2023. Age 31.
- Tasiyah ‘Siyah’ Woodland – Mechanicsville, Maryland, March 24, 2023. Age 18.
- Ashley Burton – Atlanta, Georgia, April 11, 2023. Age 37.
- Rasheeda Williams – Atlanta, Georgia, April 18, 2023. Age 35.
- Banko Brown – San Francisco, California, April 27, 2023. Age 24.
- Ashia Davis – Detroit, Michigan, June 2, 2023. Age 34
- Chanell Perez Ortiz – Carolina, Puerto Rico, June 25, 2023. Age 29.
- Jacob Williamson – Pageland, South Carolina, July 4, 2023, Age 18.
- Camdyn Rider – Winter Haven, Florida, July 21, 2023. Age 21.
- Kylie Monali – Riverside, California, September 7, 2022, Reported September 2023.
- DéVonnie J’Rae Johnson – Los Angeles, California, August 7, 2023. Age 27.
- Thomas ‘Tom-Tom’ Robinson – Calumet, Indiana, August 17, 2023. Age 28.
- Charm Wilson – Cleveland, Ohio, September 8, 2023. Age 32.
- Bre’Asia Bankz – Arizona, September 5, 2023. Age 27.
- Alexa Sokova – Palm Bay, Florida, September 5, 2023. Age 30.
- YOKO – New Orleans Louisiana, September 19, 2023. Age 30.
- Codii Lawrence – Weirton, West Virginia, September 5, 2023. Age 25.
- Unidentified Person – Dallas, Texas,. July 2023. Age unknown
- Dolli Goins – Eugene, Oregon, August 10, 2023. Age 27.
- Luis Ángel Díaz Castro – San Juan, Puerto Rico, August 12, 2023. Age 22.
- Thaddeus ‘Tad’ Keegan Bradley – Mendocino, California, Sept 21st, 2021. Reported April 27, 2023.
- Sherlyn Marjorie – Albuquerque, Nex Mexico, September 17, 2023. Age 35.
- Chyna Long – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 8, 2023. Age 20.
- Skylar Harrison – Washington, DC, October 2, 2023. Age 30.
- A’Nee Johnson – Washington, DC, October 14, 2023. Age 30.
- Dominic Palace Dupree – Chicago, Illinois, October 13, 2023. Age 25.
- Lisa Love -Chicago, Illinois, October19, 2023. Age 35.
- Lovely Page – Chicago, Illinois, August 16, 2023. Age 54.