Luis Ángel Díaz Castro was killed 12 Aug 2023 in San Juan, Puerto Rico by his ex-domestic partner. Luis identified as a Latino trans man and lived in the El Trébol residential complex, in Río Piedras.
His mother reported him missing, she hadn’t seen him since the Monday before. She told police that her son had reported his ex-partner Domingo Rafael Aquino Ubri for domestic violence. She gave permission for them to search his apartment. Police found Luis’ body in the closet of one of the rooms with various fabrics and objects on top. It was reported that the body did not show visible signs of violence since it was in a state of decomposition.
Ubri was in police custody for an unrelated robbery. The previous Monday, when Díaz Castro disappeared, Aquino Ubri left the prison where he had been admitted for a case of gender violence. Díaz Castro had filed a complaint against his partner and was accused. The case is pending hearing.
Luis was born in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. He graduated from Luis Muñoz Rivera High School. He then studied at Universidad de Puerto Rico en Arecibo and was working for the Department of Education at the time of his death.
Luis liked musicians Hector Maysonet and Chema y JohnD.
His mother posted a touching reel of his headstone.
Luis reported the first domestic incident to the police. He was killed the next day after his abuser was released. More than half of transgender respondents 54% experienced some form of intimate partner violence, including acts involving coercive control and physical harm. For more information on the impact of intimate partner violence on the trans community, read this page.
Luis death is the 26th reported in 2023 to date. He is the fifth trans masculine victim. At age 22, Luis is one of the younger victims. He is the 4th trans person of Latinx descent and the 17th trans person of color. Luis is the second trans person murdered in Puerto Rico this year. “Reported* is an important distinction to make as we know there are more folx whose deaths go unacknowledged.
In many ways, Luis’ final story has respectful moments. His family buried him using his authentic name and identity. The person who killed him is in police custody. There is no peace to lose your 22 year old son in such a hideous manner, but the family’s decisions to honor his life set an example for so many others who do not. My heart breaks for Luis’ family and friends.
Rest in power, Luis. You deserved a long life filled with beauty and joy and so much love. I am deeply sorry we did not create a safer world for you. Your memory will be lifted up and honored. Thank you for all that you brought to us.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2023. Please do not copy, modify, or share this list without attribution.
- Jasmine ‘Star’ Mack – District of Columbia, January 7, 2023. Age 36.
- KC Johnson – Wilmington, North Carolina, January 13, 2023. Age 27.
- Tortuguita – Weelaunee Forest, Georgia, January 18, 2023. Age 26.
- Unique Banks – Chicago, Illinois, January 23, 2023. Age 21.
- Zachee Imanitwitaho – Louisville, Kentucky, February 3, 2023. Age 26.
- Maria Jose Rivera Rivera – Houston, Texas, January 21, 2023. Age 22.
- Cashay Henderson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, February 27, 2023. Age 31.
- Tasiyah ‘Siyah’ Woodland – Mechanicsville, Maryland, March 24, 2023. Age 18.
- Ashley Burton – Atlanta, Georgia, April 11, 2023. Age 37.
- Rasheeda Williams – Atlanta, Georgia, April 18, 2023. Age 35.
- Banko Brown – San Francisco, California, April 27, 2023. Age 24.
- Ashia Davis – Detroit, Michigan, June 2, 2023. Age 34
- Chanell Perez Ortiz – Carolina, Puerto Rico, June 25, 2023. Age 29.
- Jacob Williamson – Pageland, South Carolina, July 4, 2023, Age 18.
- Camdyn Rider – Winter Haven, Florida, July 21, 2023. Age 21.
- Kylie Monali – Riverside, California, September 7, 2022, Reported September 2023.
- DéVonnie J’Rae Johnson – Los Angeles, California, August 7, 2023. Age 27.
- Thomas ‘Tom-Tom’ Robinson – Calumet, Indiana, August 17, 2023. Age 28.
- Charm Wilson – Cleveland, Ohio, September 8, 2023. Age 32.
- Bre’Asia Bankz – Arizona, September 5, 2023. Age 27.
- Alexa Sokova – Palm Bay, Florida, September 5, 2023. Age 30.
- YOKO – New Orleans Louisiana, September 19, 2023. Age 30.
- Codii Lawrence – Weirton, West Virginia, September 5, 2023. Age 25.
- Unidentified Person – Dallas, Texas,. July 2023. Age unknown
- Unidentified Person – Eugene, Oregon, August 10, 2023. Age unknown.
- Luis Ángel Díaz Castro – San Juan, Puerto Rico, August 12, 2023. Age 22.