Day Rodas was 27-years-old when she began to live fulltime as her authentic female self. She was also 27 when her body was discovered at the side of the road in Malibu, California.
A body was found Thursday morning on a roadside in the Santa Monica Mountains north of Malibu, prompting the closure of a stretch of Mulholland Highway, authorities said. The deceased was identified only as a female.
The discovery was made shortly after 7:30 a.m. near 33153 Mulholland Highway, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, which took the lead in the investigation.
The body was found between the intersection of Mulholland Highway and Decker Road, and Mulholland and Westlake Boulevard, near El Matador Beach in Malibu.ABC7
A few hours later, Day’s family filed a missing person’s report after she had not been heard from for several days, had not reported to work, and was not responding to calls or texts. A few hours later, her family received a call from Los Angeles Sheriff homicide detectives informing them that the body they discovered was Day. An investigation is pending. Rodas’ family said her phone was found at another Malibu location and her car was found in downtown Los Angeles.
She was 27 but only six months ago, she started living authentically just for it to be over too soon. After being afraid for 27 years, she only got to live freely without fear for only six months which breaks our hearts
Day worked in the Community Health Center program at the Los Angeles LGBT Center
Day is the 38th transgender person reported as a victim of fatal violence in 2022. She is the 30th person of color from these neighbors respectively. She is the 28th woman of color from these neighbors respectively Her death means a trans neighbor has been murdered every 8.6 days in 2022 in the United States. To date the victims include 21 Black trans women, 4 Latinx trans women, 2 AAIPI trans women, 1 Native/Indigenous person, 2 white trans women, 2 Black trans man and 3 white trans men. The youngest was 15, the oldest was 50. Twelve were 25 or younger. Their deaths come on the heels of 2021, the most violent year in recorded history with the deaths of 57 trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people in the United States alone.
Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.
If you prefer to provide information anonymously, you may call “Crime Stoppers” by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477), use your smartphone by downloading the “P3 Tips” Mobile APP on Google play or the Apple App Store or by using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org
Rest in power, Day. Your life was far too short and ended so unfairly. I hope you have found peace. I am grateful you had time living your authentic self with the support of your friends and family.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2022. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
- Ray Muscat – Clarkston, Michigan, May 8, 2022. Age 24.
- Nedra Sequence Moss – Opa-locka, Florida, May 14, 2022. Age 50.
- Chanelika Y’Ella Dior Hemingway aka “Sid” – Albany, New York, May 31, 2022. Age 30.
- Sasha Mason – Zebulon, North Carolina, May 13, 2022. Age 45.
- Brazil Johnson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 15, 2022. Age 28.
- Shawmayné Marie McClam – Gulfport, Mississippi, June 21, 2022. Age 27.
- Kitty Monroe – Memphis, Tennessee, June 29, 2022. Age unknown.
- Martasia Richmond – Chicago, Illinois, July 12, 2022, Age 30.
- Toi Davis – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 16, 2022. Age 34.
- Keshia Chanel Geter – Augusta, Georgia, July 20, 2022. Age 26.
- Cherry Bush – Sylmar, Los Angeles, California, July 6, 2022. Age 48.
- Hayden Davis – Detroit, Michigan, July 25, 2022. Age 28.
- Marisela Castro – Houston, Texas, July 29, 2022. Age 39.
- Dee Dee Kandii Redd – Kansas City, Missouri, July 24. Age 29.
- Maddie L. Hofmann – Malvern, Pennsylvania, May 19, 2022. Age 47.
- Jasper Aaron Lynch – McLean, Virginia, July 7, 2022. Age 26.
- Dede Ricks – Detroit, Michigan, August 27, 2022. Age 33.
- Regina Mya Allen – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 29, 2022. Age 35.
- Acey D. Morrison – Rapids City, South Dakota, August 21, 2022. Age 30.
- Semaj Billingslea – Jacksonville, Florida, September 21, 2022. Age 33.
- Tiffany Banks – Miami, Florida, October 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ace Scott – Kansas City, Kansas, April 15, 2022. Age 15.
- Diamond Jackson-McDonald – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 24, 2022. Age 27.
- Kelly Loving – Colorado Springs, Colorado, November 20, 2022. Age 40.
- Daniel Aston – Colorado Springs, Colorado, November 20, 2022. Age 28.
- Day Rodas – Malibu, California, December 1, 2022. Age 27.