A 50-year-old Black trans woman is the latest victim in the campaign of anti-trans terror unfolding in the United States. Her name was Nedra Sequence Moss, known as Sequence to her friends. Her surname has also been reported by some outlets at Morris, but she used Moss on her social media pages.
She was found dead in a pool of blood Saturday on a street in Opa-locka, Fla. Beyond that, police have not confirmed any details. Her family says she was shot in the head elsewhere and her body dumped at this location, according to WTVJ.
Family and friends organized a vigil at the location where her body was discovered, seeking answers and action. Over 100 people turned out to honor her life.
Sequence transitioned several years ago, including changing her name. She tolerated no disrespect to her true identity. She worked for the local school district. Previously, she had kept her friends two children while the friend was deployed to Afghanistan. She often posted birthday wishes for her nieces and nephews on Facebook, celebrating their lives. Friends posts indicate she was a truly caring, well-regarded member of the community and all seem genuinely shocked that she would be caught up in violence.
Police are looking for a 2017 Jaguar F-PACE that left the scene. Anyone with any information is asked to call Miami Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-TIPS. Tipsters can remain anonymous.
Nedra Sequence is the 14th transgender person reported as a victim of fatal violence in 2022. She is the eighth Black trans woman and the tenth woman of color from these neighbors. At age 50, she is the oldest of the victims. Her death means a trans neighbor has been murdered every 9.5 days in 2022 in the United States. To date the victims include 8 Black trans women, 2 Latinx trans women, 1 AAIPI trans woman, 1 white trans woman and 2 white trans men. The youngest was 17, the oldest was 50. Ten were 25 or younger. Their deaths come on the heels of 2021, the most violent year in recorded history with the deaths of 57 trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people in the United States alone. Note that the tabulation includes a significant number of reports of folx murdered in 2021. This might be confusing. Of course it is confusing. I tried to sort it out below.
Final arrangements have not yet been announced by her family.
Rest in power, Nedra Sequence. Your life was filled with loving family, your faith, and your good heart. Our lives are smaller now without you among us. We will all advocate for justice fo you and continue to work for a safer, accepting world for all trans neighbors. I am so sorry we didn’t accomplish that before your death. I hope the love and respect of your community, your friends will support your loved ones now and inspire everyone to work hard for a just world for all trans folx.
May your memory by a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2022. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
As six additions to our 2021 list have been revealed in 2022, I am adding them in a separate list below to try and make any sense of this increasing horror. These folks deserve their lives and deaths to be honored and remembered. The complexity only underscores their realities.
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
- Ray Muscat – Clarkston, Michigan, May 8, 2022. Age 24.
- Nedra Sequence Moss – Opa-locka, Florida, May 14, 2022. Age 50.
Deaths in 2021 (see this link for deaths reported during the 2021 calendar year) These are deaths reported in 2022 and beyond.
- 52 Za’Niyah Williams – Houston, Texas. December 20, 2021, reported on Jan 5, 2022. Age 21.
- 53 Nikki Turrietta – Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 31, 2021, reported on January 27, 2022. Age 31.
- 54 Keeva Scatter – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 34.
- 55 Rubi Dominguez – Brownsville, Texas, July 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 29.
- 56 Martina Caldera – Houston, Texas, December 6, 2021. Age 38.
- 57 Geri Judd – Bossier, Louisiana, September 28, 2021, confirmed March 1, 2022. Age 60.