Dee Dee Kandii Redd was a 29-years-old Black trans woman when she was killed in Kansas City, Missouri on July 25, 2022. Her family uses the name Kamila Marie Swann to refer to her, shortened to Dee Dee. She uses Kandii Redd on the pages I could find.
Initial media reports misgendered her and delayed notification of the community. A modeling site where Kandii had worked actually published the first respectful story about her death. Police responded to the 2600 block of East 29th Street of Kansas City on a report of a stabbing.
On arrival, first responders were led to an apartment where they located an unresponsive woman suffering from unknown injuries.
Officers called for EMS for treatment, but the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
The caller told authorities that they heard the victim and an unknown suspect involved in an argument before the stabbing occurred.
Dee Dee Kandii was a popular online model. In 2014, she was honored as the ‘Black Tgirls Model of the Year’ at the Transgender Erotica Awards. She maintained a social media presence.
She is dearly missed by her family who called her Dee Dee. She was also known as Kamila Marie Swan. She was just five months shy of turning 30.
Anyone with information that could help solve this case is urged to contact the KCPD Homicide Unit at 816-234-5043 or the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS.
The Celebration of Life Services for Dee-Dee Swan will be held at Golden Gate Funeral Services 2800 E 18th St. KC, Mo on Friday August 12, 2022 ( viewing 2pm-3pm )Service 3pm
Kandii is the 26th transgender person reported as a victim of fatal violence in 2022. She is the 17th Black trans women and the 21st woman of color from these neighbors respectively Her death means a trans neighbor has been murdered every 8.1 days in 2022 in the United States. To date the victims include 17 Black trans women, 3 Latinx trans women, 1 AAIPI trans woman, 2 white trans women and 2 white trans men. The youngest was 17, the oldest was 50. Ten were 25 or younger. Their deaths come on the heels of 2021, the most violent year in recorded history with the deaths of 57 trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people in the United States alone. Note that the tabulation includes a significant number of reports of folx murdered in 2021. This might be confusing. Of course it is confusing. I tried to sort it out below.
Rest in power, Dee Dee Kandii. You deserved to walk through your life in safety and with support. Your friends and family will continue to seek justice for your untimely death. I am sorry we did not create a more supportive world for you.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2022. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
As six additions to our 2021 list have been revealed in 2022, I am adding them in a separate list below to try and make any sense of this increasing horror. These folks deserve their lives and deaths to be honored and remembered. The complexity only underscores their realities.
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
- Ray Muscat – Clarkston, Michigan, May 8, 2022. Age 24.
- Nedra Sequence Moss – Opa-locka, Florida, May 14, 2022. Age 50.
- Chanelika Y’Ella Dior Hemingway aka “Sid” – Albany, New York, May 31, 2022. Age 30.
- Sasha Mason – Zebulon, North Carolina, May 13, 2022. Age 45.
- Brazil Johnson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 15, 2022. Age 28.
- Shawmayné Marie McClam – Gulfport, Mississippi, June 21, 2022. Age 27.
- Kitty Monroe – Memphis, Tennessee, June 29, 2022. Age unknown.
- Martasia Richmond – Chicago, Illinois, July 12, 2022, Age 30.
- Toi Davis – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 16, 2022. Age 34.
- Keshia Chanel Geter – Augusta, Georgia, July 20, 2022. Age 26.
- Cherry Bush – Sylmar, Los Angeles, California, July 6, 2022. Age 48.
- Hayden Davis – Detroit, Michigan, July 25, 2022. Age 28.
- Marisela Castro – Houston, Texas, July 29, 2022. Age 39.
- Dee Dee Kandii Redd – Kansas City, Missouri, July 24. Age 29.
These are deaths reported in 2022 and beyond.
- 52 Za’Niyah Williams – Houston, Texas. December 20, 2021, reported on Jan 5, 2022. Age 21.
- 53 Nikki Turrietta – Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 31, 2021, reported on January 27, 2022. Age 31.
- 54 Keeva Scatter – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 34.
- 55 Rubi Dominguez – Brownsville, Texas, July 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 29.
- 56 Martina Caldera – Houston, Texas, December 6, 2021. Age 38.
- 57 Geri Judd – Bossier, Louisiana, September 28, 2021, confirmed March 1, 2022. Age 60