Regina ‘Mya’ Allen was 35 years old and living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. One of her final social media posts showed she was looking forward to her September birthday, just 22 days ahead. Tragically, Mya won’t have the chance to celebrate that milestone. The day after the post, she was shot to death as she walked away from someone’s car.
That person is now the suspect in her murder. His name is Clayton Hubbird. He’s not been arrested yet.
Security video in the area backed up when the statements of the person who lived in the neighborhood, the complaint says. It shows “the Tahoe remain in the roadway for some time, before the victim, whom can be identified via clothes, get out of the front passenger seat of the Tahoe. The victim walks toward the apartment complex. Once near the sidewalk, appears to react to getting hit and immediately falls to the ground. This is, of course, consistent with the victim being shot. The Tahoe then drives southbound away,” the complaint says.
He shot her while she walked away from his vehicle. Then, he drove away and he’s now on the run. Thanks to details Mya provided during her final moments, they identified the murderer and are searching for him. They found the truck. With a child’s carseat installed, just as Mya described. He was driving around someone’s young child in that car. When police searched his home, they found a significant amount of ammunition and gun magazines. Who was letting this person drive their child around? Is that child okay? Because the levels of how disturbing this incident are leave me puzzled.
Anyone with any information is urged to contact Milwaukee police at 414-935-7360 or to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 414-224-Tips or P3 Tips App.
Mya has lived in Atlanta and Chapel Hill. She frequently posted about her faith along with inspirational quotes, frequent changes in her hair and makeup, and back-and-forth with her friends. Her friends and family held a vigil for her in August and her funeral is scheduled for Monday, September 12, 2022 in Milwaukee.
Mya is the third Black trans woman killed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin this year. Brazil Johnson, 28, was killed on June 15 while Toi Davis, 34, died on July 16. Mya and Toi were connected on social media and have friends in common – they appear in one video clip together. That’s three Black trans women from Milwaukee who died within 10 weeks. That should be a serious state of alarm.
Mya is the 30th transgender person reported as a victim of fatal violence in 2022. She is the 19th Black trans women and the 24st woman of color from these neighbors respectively Her death means a trans neighbor has been murdered every 8 days in 2022 in the United States. To date the victims include 19 Black trans women, 3 Latinx trans women, 2 AAIPI trans women, 2 white trans women and 3 white trans men. The youngest was 17, the oldest was 50. Ten were 25 or younger. Their deaths come on the heels of 2021, the most violent year in recorded history with the deaths of 57 trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people in the United States alone. Note that the tabulation includes a significant number of reports of folx murdered in 2021. This might be confusing. Of course it is confusing. I tried to sort it out below.
Rest in power, Mya. You deserved so much better, so many more years to embrace the blessings in your life. Thank you for the many gifts you brought to this world and the people who loved you. Using your final breath to help bring justice, to resist a world that tried to erase and invalidate you even at the end of your life. You were an agent of power and life. I am so sorry that we failed to keep you safe.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2022. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
As six additions to our 2021 list have been revealed in 2022, I am adding them in a separate list below to try and make any sense of this increasing horror. These folks deserve their lives and deaths to be honored and remembered. The complexity only underscores their realities.
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
- Ray Muscat – Clarkston, Michigan, May 8, 2022. Age 24.
- Nedra Sequence Moss – Opa-locka, Florida, May 14, 2022. Age 50.
- Chanelika Y’Ella Dior Hemingway aka “Sid” – Albany, New York, May 31, 2022. Age 30.
- Sasha Mason – Zebulon, North Carolina, May 13, 2022. Age 45.
- Brazil Johnson – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, June 15, 2022. Age 28.
- Shawmayné Marie McClam – Gulfport, Mississippi, June 21, 2022. Age 27.
- Kitty Monroe – Memphis, Tennessee, June 29, 2022. Age unknown.
- Martasia Richmond – Chicago, Illinois, July 12, 2022, Age 30.
- Toi Davis – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 16, 2022. Age 34.
- Keshia Chanel Geter – Augusta, Georgia, July 20, 2022. Age 26.
- Cherry Bush – Sylmar, Los Angeles, California, July 6, 2022. Age 48.
- Hayden Davis – Detroit, Michigan, July 25, 2022. Age 28.
- Marisela Castro – Houston, Texas, July 29, 2022. Age 39.
- Dee Dee Kandii Redd – Kansas City, Missouri, July 24. Age 29.
- Maddie L. Hofmann – Malvern, Pennsylvania, May 19, 2022. Age 47.
- Jasper Aaron Lynch – McLean, Virginia, July 7, 2022. Age 26.
- Dede Ricks – Detroit, Michigan, August 27, 2022. Age 33.
- Regina Mya Allen – Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 29, 2022. Age 35.
These are deaths reported in 2022 and beyond.
- 52 Za’Niyah Williams – Houston, Texas. December 20, 2021, reported on Jan 5, 2022. Age 21.
- 53 Nikki Turrietta – Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 31, 2021, reported on January 27, 2022. Age 31.
- 54 Keeva Scatter – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 34.
- 55 Rubi Dominguez – Brownsville, Texas, July 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 29.
- 56 Martina Caldera – Houston, Texas, December 6, 2021. Age 38.
- 57 Geri Judd – Bossier, Louisiana, September 28, 2021, confirmed March 1, 2022. Age 60