Her name was Sasha Mason. She was 45 years old and identified as a trans Latina. And she is the most recently reported trans woman to fall victim to the campaign of terror sweeping our nation. She was killed on May 13, 2022. Reports are just now surfacing outside of her home community.
Sasha was born and raised in Zebulon, North Carolina surrounded by friends and family. Her profiles are filled with humor and good vibes. Her friends are continuing to pour tributes throughout social media, describing her as kind and sweet and generous.
Most of the media coverage does use her name Sasha, but misgenders her and includes her deadname.
The Zebulon Police Department said 45-year-old Sasha lived in an apartment behind [her] mother’s home on the 200 block of West Barbee Street in Zebulon. [Her mother] was awoken by the sound of gunshots around 1:45 a.m. on Friday and found [Sasha[ lying on the floor.
Zebulon police said officers found [her[ suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. ]S]he died at the scene. Police said in a Facebook post that items were taken from the residence during the robbery and shooting.
Sasha died on the scene with her mother present. There is no word on motive, but news reports indicate that Sasha knew the two men who took her life. Sasha’s funeral was on May 21, 2022 in Zebulon.
Two suspects have been arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon, according to the Zebulon police. No word yet on whether charges will be upgraded to include murder or what was stolen (or why.)
According to her Facebook profile, Sasha went to East Wake High School and was engaged. She liked “old school” games like Angry Birds and Candy Crush, sharing reviews of her favorite restaurants, and teaching her friends how to do self-manicures. She has a large, connected family who continue to post milestone family moments on her profile, including the recent graduation of a nephew.
She is the 16th transgender person reported as a victim of fatal violence in 2022. She is the third Latinx trans woman and the twefth woman of color from these neighbors. At age 45, she is among the oldest of the victims. Her death means a trans neighbor has been murdered every 9.5 days in 2022 in the United States. To date the victims include 9 Black trans women, 3 Latinx trans women, 1 AAIPI trans woman, 1 white trans woman and 2 white trans men. The youngest was 17, the oldest was 50. Ten were 25 or younger. Their deaths come on the heels of 2021, the most violent year in recorded history with the deaths of 57 trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people in the United States alone. Note that the tabulation includes a significant number of reports of folx murdered in 2021. This might be confusing. Of course it is confusing. I tried to sort it out below.
Rest in power, Sasha. Your light and joy impacted so many lives around you. To be ripped from your family in such a manner is tragic and a horrifying reality. I am sorry we failed to protect you. I hope your family finds solace knowing the people who took your life are not loose to hurt others. I hope you find peace. We will continue to seek justice and to say your name.
May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors who have been victims of the campaign of terror in 2022. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
As six additions to our 2021 list have been revealed in 2022, I am adding them in a separate list below to try and make any sense of this increasing horror. These folks deserve their lives and deaths to be honored and remembered. The complexity only underscores their realities.
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
- Ray Muscat – Clarkston, Michigan, May 8, 2022. Age 24.
- Nedra Sequence Moss – Opa-locka, Florida, May 14, 2022. Age 50.
- Chanelika Y’Ella Dior Hemingway aka “Sid” – Albany, New York, May 31, 2022. Age 30.
- Sasha Mason – Zebulon, North Carolina, May 13, 2022. Age 45.
Deaths in 2021 (see this link for deaths reported during the 2021 calendar year) These are deaths reported in 2022 and beyond.
These are deaths reported in 2022 and beyond.
- 52 Za’Niyah Williams – Houston, Texas. December 20, 2021, reported on Jan 5, 2022. Age 21.
- 53 Nikki Turrietta – Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 31, 2021, reported on January 27, 2022. Age 31.
- 54 Keeva Scatter – Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 34.
- 55 Rubi Dominguez – Brownsville, Texas, July 15, 2021, confirmed on February 13, 2022. Age 29.
- 56 Martina Caldera – Houston, Texas, December 6, 2021. Age 38.
- 57 Geri Judd – Bossier, Louisiana, September 28, 2021, confirmed March 1, 2022. Age 60.