Correction: I misspelled Haven’s surname in the original post. I have made the correction. I am sorry for the confusion. – Sue
Haven A Bailey was 25 years old. He was living in Illinois where he grew up and graduated from Addison Trail High School. Haven identified as a trans man, most recently living in Villa Park, Illinois.
On Monday, May 24, 2021, he became the most recent victim of violence when a confrontation with police ended with his death. From the Chicago Sun Times (misgendering)
He was carrying a pellet gun “made to look like a Sig Sauer 1911 Pistol” and allegedly ignored officer’s commands to drop it, Villa Park police said in a statement.
Officers encountered Bailey after someone called 911 and reported a person with a gun about 2:06 a.m. in the 200 block of East Kenilworth Avenue, police said.
Bailey allegedly walked towards the officers while carrying the gun, and an officer shot him four times “in fear of his life” when he refused to drop the gun, police said.
It is irresponsible to claim that this was a death by suicide or that Haven deliberately set the police up to shoot him to death. While that’s a possibility, it only speculative at this time. We don’t know. We do know that reporting on death by suicide under any circumstances requires precision and balance. Romanticizing Haven’s death in any way is a disservice to their life.
Haven needed and deserved help. It seems he had family support and friends, but sometimes that is not enough. While individuals who die by suicide are not typically included in the TDOR deaths, there’s something about this case that doesn’t feel right to me so I am adding Haven to the list of cases I am monitoring. If you are thinking about suicide and in need of immediate support, please call the
- TrevorLifeline at 1-866-488-7386 or click to chat
- TransLifeLine (877) 565-8860
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline 800-273-8255
Haven’s obituary reads in part:
Haven found peace in spending time fishing and caught many digital pets as an avid Pokemon trainer. Haven loved Tim Burton movies, especially “A Nightmare Before Christmas”. Haven was a dedicated, caring, and open friend, whose advice will be a treasured comfort to many. Haven could light up any room, bring a smile to your face, and make you laugh. As a friend, you would always know Haven loved you for who you are, without any judgment or criticism.
Visitation and funeral services will take place on Thursday, May 27, 2021. Rest in power, Haven. Whatever led you to these decisions was a burden you should not have born alone. Our community has to do better. I am sorry we let you down. May your memory be a revolution.
Our list of transgender, gender, and non-binary neighbors lost to violence in 2021. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
- Tyianna Davarea Alexandra – Chicago, Illinois. January 6, 2021. Age 28.
- Samuel Edmund Damián Valentín – Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. January 9, 2021. Age 21.
- Dominique Jackson – Jackson, Mississippi. January 25, 2021. Age 30.
- Bianca ‘Muffin’ Bankz – Atlanta, Georgia. January 21, 2021. Age 31.
- Fifty Bandzzz – Baton Rouge, Louisiana. January 28, 2021. Age 21.
- Alexus “Kimmy” Braxton – Miami, Florida. February 4, 2021. Age 45.
- Chynaa Carrillo – New Wilmington, Pennsylvania. February 18, 2021. Age 24.
- Jeffrey ‘JJ’ Bright – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 16.
- Jasmine Cannady – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 22.
- Jenna Franks – Jacksonville, North Carolina, February 24, 2021. Age 34. **
- Diamond Nicole ‘Kyree’ Sanders – Cincinnati, Ohio. March 3, 2021. Age 23.
- Rayanna Pardo – Los Angeles, California, March 17, 2021. Age 26. ***
- Aidelen Evans – Port Arthur, Texas, March 2021. Age 24 ****
- Dominique Lucious – Springfield, Missouri, April 8, 2021. Age 26.
- Jaida Peterson – Charlotte, North Carolina, April 4, 2021. Age 29.
- Remy Fennell – Charlotte, North Carolina, April 15, 2021. Age 28.
- Tiara Banks – Chicago, Illinois, April 21, 2021. Age 26.
- Natalia Smüt Lopez – San Jose, California, April 23, 2021. Age 24.
- Tiffany Thomas – Dallas, Texas, April 21, 2021. Age 38.
- Iris Santos – Houston, Texas, April 23, 2021. Age 22.
- Jahaira M. DeAlto – Boston, Massachusetts, May 2, 2021. Age 42.
- Keri Washington – Clearwater, Florida, May 1, 2021. Age 49.
- Danny Henson – Baltimore, Maryland, May 4, 2021. Age 31.
- Whispering Wind Bear Spirit – York, Pennsylvania, May 4, 2021 Age 41
- Sophie Vasquez – Atlanta, Georgia, May 4, 2021. Age 36.
- Serenity Hollis – Albany, Georgia, May 8, 2021. Age 24.
- Oliver “Ollie” Taylor – Gervais, Oregon, May 19, 2021. Age 27.
- Thomas Hardin – York, South Carolina, May 2, 2021. Age 35.
We are also still monitoring these suspicious deaths from 20/21 (in addition to the 44 documented killings.)
- Fendi Mon’ezah Armstrong – Lithonia, Georgia, November 11, 2020. Age 39
- Kimberely Patricia Cope – Athens, Georgia, December 27, 2020. Age 40.
- Natasha Keianna – Detroit, Michigan, January 12, 2021. Age 37.
- Bonaire ‘Bonnie’ Black – Atlanta, Georgia, December 31, 2020. Age 19.
- Koko Nia Labeija – Chicago, Illinois, Found June 2020, Identified April 2021, Age 19
- Haven Bailey – Villa Park, Illinois, May 24, 2021. Age 25.