As you know, I work hard during the winter to gather your gently used items and help the GLCC redistribute them to neighbors. There’s an Amazon Wish List that you can use. The wish list includes some of the basics – blankets, coats, gloves. So let me help you understand some of the other needs.
- Chemical Handwarmers. You can purchase these at most sporting goods stores and online. These are very useful for some of our neighbors who live outside as well as for those who have to be outside in bitter cold weather such as those waiting for an early morning bus to get to work.
- Water & Water Bottles. Dehydration is a serious threat during the winter months, but one we don’t often consider. Donations of bottled water as well as new reusable water bottles (and new coffee mugs) can make a big difference.
- Phone Accessories. While some of our neighbors have phones, they can always use phone chargers, phone cards. And we can also always use ear buds, too. Often people stop by the GLCC to charge their items.
- Slippers. A warm pair of slippers can help someone get through the chilly evenings, especially if they are conserving heat or living in a shelter and having to use common spaces at night.
- Raincoats or ponchos. These can be used over outerwear to keep it dry and keep the individual dry. They can also provide a layer of protection when someone needs to sit on the ground.
- Backpacks. Sturdy backpacks and messenger bags can be essential for folks waiting for a bus or traveling to work on foot.
- Tissue. All types are welcome, but small personal packs are especially useful. We all know what its like to be caught outside without a tissue.
- Chapstick. Again something we can all relate to – chapped lips. Any sort of lip protection are essential.
- Lotion. Dry skin is uncomfortable and can put someone at risk of further damage.
Obviously, the most critical items are blankets and coats along with gloves, hats and scarves. But these are some items you might have at home and consider contributing.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24