November is here and with it, National Bloggin Month aka NaBloPoMo
In previous years, we’ve celebrated in various ways:
- blogging each day for NaBloPoMo (2014)
- co-organizing a blogging award project and blogger art exhibit (2015)
- bringing together political bloggers to reflect on the past ten years in blogging (2016)
This year, we are going to continue our tradition of posting every day of the month. But we are adding a very concrete goal – we want to find 30 new donors to the #AMPLIFY crowdfundraiser.
The amount of the donation doesn’t matter – it is finding 30 people to invest in our efforts to chronicle the experiences of LGBTQ neighbors that we will measure.
#AMPLIFY reaches a lot of people who come to this blog for other content. Leveraging 12 years of reach and credibility to lift up the voices of neighbors (240+) is as important as any original content we create. My job is to both continue to blog the original content and to manage the AMPLIFY project so that people have access to that content.
We are nearing some critical financial moments as a blog.
- Webhosting fees are due at the end of December
- Domain registrations also due at the end of December
- Purchase of multiple plug-in ‘pro’ versions to better manage the site and develop more tools for AMPLIFY (searchable maps, for example)
- A new run on our AMPLIFY brochure and handouts
We’ve had a few small fundraisers, but it seems we do best when we ask the people most invested in our work to chip in – our readers. If are still reading this, you are the person who most directly values and benefits from this work of blogging.
I don’t believe in setting up special perks for donors. I don’t believe in keeping some content accessible to people who can pay for it. And I don’t believe that you do either. So we use Crowdrise as our crowdfundraiser, a site that has no gimmicks and is easy to navigate. We also have a PayPal link set up as well as the option to make a recurring monthly donation. And you can also make a donation via check through our fiscal sponsor, Persad Center.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.