Kiwi Herring was a Black trans woman from St. Louis. She died after being shot by police at 8 AM on Tuesday, August 22 outside an apartment complex. Police were responding to a domestic call.
According to police, Kiwi had a knife when they entered the apartment in response to the call. She allegedly slashed one of the responding officers who fired on her, leaving her dead at the scene.
Kiwi’s friends attending a vigil in the Forest Park later that evening disputed the police account, saying there was no evidence she was armed. They also objected to Kiwi being misgendered and misnamed by police and the media. According to self-identified friends on Facebook, Kiwi had three young children and had been allegedly dealing with ongoing harassment from neighbors in her apartment building.
Kiwi is the 18th trans person killed this year and the 17th trans woman of color.
It is unclear at this time what if any of the details about her death are true, but it is a truth that she is dead at the hands of police. It is true that the St. Louis media seems to have no idea how to respond accurately and responsibly on a story involving a transgender person. It is true that Kiwi’s story is not unique.
Rest in power, Kiwi. You deserved to live in peace. In death, you continue to deserve dignity and respect for your true identity.
- Mesha Caldwell – Mississippi (January 4), 41 years old
- Jamie Lee Wounded Arrow – Sioux Falls (January 7), 28 years old
- JoJo Striker – Toledo, Ohio (February 8), 23 years old
- KeKe Collier – Chicago (February 21), 24 years old
- Chyna Gibson – New Orleans (February 25), 31 years old
- Ciara McElveen – New Orleans (February 27), 26 years old
- Jaquarrius Holland (Brown) – Monroe, Louisiana (February 19), 18 years old
- Alphonza Watson – Baltimore (March 22), 38 years old
- Chay Reed – Miami-Dade (April 19), 28 years old
- Brenda Bostick – New York City (April 25), 59 years old
- Sherrell Faulkner – Charlotte, NC (May 16), 46 years old
- Kenne McFadden – San Antonio (June 6), 27 years old
- Josie Berrios – Ithaca, NY (June 13), 28 years old
- Ava Le’Ray Barrin – Athens, GA (June 25), 17 years old
- Ebony Monroe – Lynchburg, VA (July 2), 28 years old
- Tee Tee Dangerfield – Atlanta, GA (July 31), 32 years old
- Gwynevere River Song – Waxahachie, TX (August 12), 26 years old
- Kiwi Herring – St. Louis (August 22), 30 years old
Resources in Western Pennsylvania that can use your donation to support black trans women and/or offer supports & services to those who need them. This list is not comprehensive. TransPride Pittsburgh is an umbrella group and the best lead for referrals to other organizations. If you are in another region, use Google to find local trans resources.
- TransPride Pittsburgh
- Garden of Peace
- SisTers Pgh
- Persad Center
- GLCC of Pittsburgh
- Erie Sisters & Brothers Transgender Support Group
- Transfamily of NWPA