Today is the International Trans Day of Remembrance as well as a day to honor trans resilience. In lieu of our usual Friday #AMPLIFY profile, we are sharing these previously published Q&A posts with transgender neighbors living in Western Pennsylvania. Visibility is an important component of resiliency and a luxury many of us may not realize as our privilege.
15 neighbors who identify as trans have shared their stories – from Allegheny, Butler, Cambria, Erie, Fayette, McKean and Westmoreland counties. They represent 20% of the respondents. We would like to add your voice to the AMPLIFY project.
I would be remiss if I did not ask you to continue to say the names (even to yourself) of our trans sisters who lost their lives to violence this past year. You can read the complete list of lost trans neighbors and friends here.
Please continue to say their names.
- Papi Edwards, 20, Louisville, January 9
- Lamia Beard, 30, Norfolk on January 17
- Ty Underwood, 24, Tyler TX on January 26
- Yazmin Vash Payne, 33, LA on January 31
- Taja de Jesus, 36, San Fran February 1
- Penny Proud, 21, New Orleans February 10
- Bri Golec, 22, Akron on February 13
- Kristina Grant Infiniti, 47, Miami on February 15
- Keyshia Blige, 33, Naperville IL on March 7
- London Chanel, 21, Philadelphia on May 18
- Mercedes Williamson, 17, Alabama on May 30
- Jasmine Collins, 32, Kansas City MO, June 23
- India Clarke, 25, Tampa on July 22
- K.C. Haggard, 66, Fresno on July 23
- Amber Monroe, 20, Detroit on August 8
- Ms. Shade Schuler, 22, Dallas, date of death unknown
- Ashton O’Hara, 25, Detroit, July 14
- Kandis Capri, 35, Phoenix, August 11
- Elisha Walker, 25, Smithfield NC, date of death unknown
- Tamara Dominguez, 36, Kansas City MO, August 17
- Kiesha Jenkins, 22, Philadelphia, October 6
- Zella Ziona, 21, Gaithersburg MD, October 14
Rest in power, sisters and neighbors.
A list of Trans Day of Remembrance events near Pittsburgh can be found here.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24