The week of August 9, 2015 may be one of the worst in LGBTQ history, specifically transgender history. This past ten days saw the actual death OR discovery of the death of six transgender women of color. The sixth sister lost to this horrifying epidemic was Tamara Dominguez of Kansas City, Missouri. She was 36. (If you follow the link, the original report misgenders Tamara.)
On Saturday, Aug. 15, officers were called to the area of Independence and Spruce Avenues just before 3 a.m. on a report of an injured pedestrian. A witness told police she saw Dominguez exit an SUV, which then ran over [her] intentionally. While lying on the ground, the driver of the SUV backed over the victim, and then drove over [her]a third time before leaving the scene southbound on Spruce Avenue. Dominguez was transported to an area hospital where [she] later died.
No arrests have yet been made. The KCPD Homicide unit is asking for the public’s help locating the vehicle of interest in the aforementioned homicide. The vehicle of interest is a dark in color over gray Chevy Avalanche with the trim package around the bed and gray lower body . The vehicle has tinted windows and dark color after-market wheels. It also has been noted to have a loud muffler.
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to contact Crime Stoppers Greater Kansas City TIPS Hotline at 816-474-TIPS (8477), TIPS may also be submitted electronically at www.KCcrimestoppers.com or by texting TIP452 and your information to 274637 (CRIMES). All information is anonymous.
Tamara died in the hospital on Monday, two days after this vicious attack. I’m searching for information on a vigil or ways to support her final arrangements.
- Papi Edwards, 20, Louisville, January 9
- Lamia Beard, 30, Norfolk on January 17
- Ty Underwood, 24, Tyler TX on January 26
- Yazmin Vash Payne, 33, LA on January 31
- Taja de Jesus, 36, San Fran February 1
- Penny Proud, 21, New Orleans February 10
- Bri Golec, 22, Akron on February 13
- Kristina Grant Infiniti, 47, Miami on February 15
- London Chanel, 21, Philadelphia on May 18
- Mercedes Williamson, 17, Alabama on May 30
- India Clarke, 25, Tampa on July 22
- K.C. Haggard, 66, Fresno on July 23
- Amber Monroe, 20, Detroit on August 8
- Ms. Shade Schuler, 22, Dallas, date of death unknown
- Ashton O’Hara, 25, Detroit, July 14
- Kandis Capri, 35, Phoenix, August 11
- Elisha Walker, 25, Smithfield NC, date of death unknown
- Tamara Dominguez, 36, Kansas City MO, August 17
Again I ask, what are we LGBTQ going to do about this? How are we supporting trans women of color? I’ve had three different trans women friends express their deepening fears over this epidemic. I feel unable to muster an appropriate response because I don’t know. I just feel sad and angry and helpless. And I’m worried about my trans friends, too. I’m worried about all of us.
Rest in power, Tamara. Your friends reached out to the public to help bring justice for you and their love and support carry your name forward. You deserved better. I hope you are at peace now.