Today, the promotional folx for John Mellencamp invited me to review his upcoming concert series at The Benedum in late May.
Wow. That’s a big step up for us in terms of fame. I know that sounds weird, but I’m still not recovered from the Rick Springsteen rejection of our Q&A (pre-pandemic) as a slap in the face. Or the people who tell us we aren’t very good reviewers, not professional enough.
Oh well … we write reviews that make the the queer folx sing. (Do you see what I did there?)
an uninhibited look at what it means to survive in America.
First of all, who doesn’t want to hear any version of John Mellencamp sing “Jack and Diane” in person? Liar if you said no.
Second, I love shows at The Benedum and The Byham and the Carnegie Stages. Designated seating, good acoustics, usually a crowd that’s my speed (literally – a lot of walking in these spaces), and intimacy.
Third, I have no qualms about acknowledging something stoking my ego – self promotion is not a sin, a former boss told me. I think LGBTQ media have a unique perspective on the arts, especially pop culture. Our reviews, from restaurants to the Indigo Girls, will always talk about accessibility, inclusiveness and equity, green issues, and other topics we think you should consider. Totally up to you if you agree with us or not. We write reviews that I’d like to read.
Coming up we have some great shows and events on our review calendar. We are ambitious.
- Mary Gauthier at Club Cafe
- Natalie Merchant at The Byham
- Jill Sobule at Club Cafe
- Etty at Carnegie Stage
- Plan 9 From Outer Space at Carnegie Stage
- Damien Jurado at Club Cafe
- Dear Evan Hansen at The Benedum
- American Fast at City Theatre
- Young Americans at Pittsburgh Public Theater
- Othello at Pittsburgh Playhouse
- Renee Elise Goldberry at Heinz Hall
- Bonnie Raitt at Heinz Hall
- Billy Porter at Heinz Hall
- Frida … a Self Portrait at Pittsburgh Public Theater
- Jinkx Monsoon at Stage AE
- 39 Steps at New Hazlett
- The Falsettos at New Hazlett
- Kansas at The Benedum
- Moulin Rouge at The Benedum
- The Wiz at The Benedum
- Billy Idol at The UPMC Events Center
- Anything Goes at The Benedum
- Into The Woods at The Benedum
- The Sound of Music at The Benedum
- Once on This Island at The Benedum
- Guys and Dolls at The Benedum
- Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 at The Benedum
- Tegan and Sara at The Roxian
- America at The Palace
I made some “big asks” of LiveNation to review Springsteen, Madonna, and Duran Duran. And, yes, Taylor Sawift. I am not expecting any of those to pan out. My blog just doesn’t impress those big wigs, but that’s okay – John Mellencamp people are impressed.
My point is that these are all queer things. I’m not a fool, I realize a 18-year-old blog with a ton of incoming links generates some value that’s tied to the mechanics, not the content itself.
For 18+ years, snowflakes, social justice warriors, and the politically correct have built this blog. Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
We need your ongoing support to maintain this archive and continue the work. Please consider becoming a patron of this blog with a recurring monthly donation or make a one-time donation.
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.