I was so pleased with this segment – that Jonathan Capehart scheduled it and with the points Raquel Willis brought up, especially firmly connecting the dots between the anti-LGBTQ legislation (“Don’t Say Gay”, criminalizing transition, etc) and the epidemic of violent terror systemically murdering trans, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming neighbors – especially Black trans women – in our nation for decades. Probably forever, to be honest. We just have better reporting mechanisms now.
Watch this segment. Then please advocate with your own media outlets to create similar content, tapping into the wealth of trans activists around this nation. I relentlessly ask local media in Pittsburgh to explore these issues, but – and let me be very clear – that does not mean “invite white cisgender lesbian Sue” to have that conversation. I can discuss some of it, but the conversation must be steered by the trans community. My job as an ally is to keep pushing for this conversation, not conversing myself.
"There are people fighting every day to keep you alive, and also just to fight for you to live the best life. You deserve a full, whole healthy life like anyone else." @RaquelWillis_ on why young trans non-binary kids should keep their heads up and keep their hope #SundayShow pic.twitter.com/9cQcJzIsam— The Sunday Show with Jonathan Capehart (@TheSundayShow) April 17, 2022
- Amäriey Lèį (Myara) – Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania. January 1, 2022. Age 20.
- Duval Princess – Jacksonville, Florida. January 2, 2022. Age 24.
- Naomie Skinner – Detroit, Michigan, February 12, 2022. Age 25.
- Cypress Ramos – Lubbock, Texas, February 13, 2022. Age 21.
- Paloma Velasquez – Houston, Texas, February 26, 2022. Age 29.
- Matthew Spampinato – New Castle, Delaware, February 9, 2022. Age 21.
- Tatiana LaBelle – Chicago, Illinois, March 18, 2022. Age 33.
- Kathryn Newhouse – Canton, Georgia, March 19, 2022. Age 19.
- Kesha Webster – Jackson, Mississippi, March 26, 2022. Age 24.
- Miia Love Parker – Chester, Pennsylvania, April 1, 2022. Age 25.
- Ariyanna Mitchell – Hampton, Virginia, April 2, 2022. Age 17.
- Fern Feather – Morristown, Vermont, April 12, 2022. Age 29.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.