For the past 18 months, I have been collecting Q&A responses from LGBTQ folks with ties to Western Pennsylvania. The project is called #AMPLIFY and we plan to continue seeking Q&A contributions through the end of 2017. Participants are 18+, identify as part of the LGBTQ community and have ties to Western Pennsylvania.
We ask a lot of (mostly) open-ended questions about their identities and experiences. We do not ask any questions specifically about their family status, but many of them mention the fact that they are a parent in the context of one or more of the questions. About 20% of the contributors are parents.
For my contribution to the annual Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day project, I decided the best thing to do is to amplify their Q&A posts. Please read as many as you like and absorb some of the wisdom and wit they have to share. Please note that I included people I know to be parenting or grandparenting. I did not necessarily include everyone who is a caretaker for a child. If I left anyone out, I apologize.
- Camellia, 30, is a Lesbian, Soon-to-be Wife, and Momma
- Wes, 44: Queer Trans Man, Parent Wants You To Know That He Exists
- Sara, 28, Single Mom, Agnostic Jew, and Queer in Ohio
- Jay, 54, Considers His Gay Identity Both Now and The
- For Jodi’s Kids, Having Two Mothers Is Just a Fact of Life
- Kim, 44, Say She Lost Her Job in Beaver County Because She’s a Lesbian
- Alissa, 34, is Just Another Girl in the Crowd in Lawrence County
- De, 49, is Concerned About LGBTQ Youth in Rural Western PA
- Viva Valezz is a Queer Burlesque Performer Parenting a Gender Fluid Child
- Heather Refuses to Marginalize Herself as a Bisexual Woman
- Dinah Denmark: Lesbian, Jewish, Buddhist
- Kathi Wants To Connect with LGBTQ Elders in Rural Communities
- Shaquanna Wants Families to Have Positive Conversations With LGBTQ Relatives
- Jeff Hopes the LGBTQ Community Will Embrace a Common Queer Identity
- Jess is a Lesbian Mother Who Wants More Family Friendly Resources
- Diane Discusses Being Belligerently Out in Pittsburgh
- Anonymous Grieves How Pittsburgh’s Gay and Lesbian Community Treats Bisexuals
- Maria Wants You To Know a Family Like Hers #AMPLIFY
- Lyndsey Identifies as a Queer Genderfluid Lipstuck Butch
- Alex is a Black Trans Man Who Doesn’t Apologize For His Existence
- David Talks About the State of Equality in Erie
- Bee Asks Where Single Parents Fit Into the LGBTQ Community
- Vic Lives Closeted in Westmoreland County
- Gary Has Lived in Northwest and Southwest PA As An Openly Gay Man
- Paula Speaks Out About Bi-Erasure and Bisexual Exclusion
- Joy KMT Values Intersectional Healing Spaces
- Gina Shares Her Truth With Those Who Deserve To Know
- Donna Met a Female Impersonator Who Made a Lasting Impression
- Joyce Believes Tolerance Is Not Acceptance
Let me ask this question before you click away – when is the last time you attended or organized a LGBTQ event in Pittsburgh that offered childcare? Please leave a comment with your response.
If you would like to contribute to our project, we’d love to amplify your story. You should be 18 or older, identify as part of the LGBTQ community and have ties to at least one of the 26 counties in Western Pennsylvania. The online Q&A is available here. More information is available here.
For 18+ years, snowflakes, social justice warriors, and the politically correct have built this blog. Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
We need your ongoing support to maintain this archive and continue the work. Please consider becoming a patron of this blog with a recurring monthly donation or make a one-time donation.
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.