Guest blogger: Rayden Sorock
I used this program in 2011 when I was making about $12,000. I filled out the paper application, but you can also do it online. I applied in February, was awarded in April and received about $700 that lasted me the next 12 months. My gas heating bill was between $20 and $250 a month depending on the weather.
– It’s best to submit your application early, as they tend to get slammed when the weather really gets cold.
– Make sure to explain anything complicated in your application with ample written description.
– Sometimes going into the LIHEAP office ensures that things are correctly submitted the first time, however it could take up a bigger chunk of your time.
No one should have to endure a heat-less home in the winter, so each year when I find out the program has started again, I try to share it to my networks so the people who need it know it’s available. It’s a great resource.
LIHEAP season has begun as of 11/2/15.
LIHEAP 2015-2016 LIHEAP will operate from 11/02/2015 –04/01/2016
The Cash Grant amounts for those who are eligible are:
The Crisis Grant amounts for those who are eligible are:
LIHEAP pamphlets in English, Russian, Vietnamese, and Spanish are available.
There are also 2 applications (PWEA-1) – one in Spanish and one in English – clients may also apply online www.compass.state.pa.us
What is LIHEAP?
The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low-income families pay their heating bills. LIHEAP is a grant. You do not have to repay it.
To receive help…
- You don’t have to be on public assistance
- You don’t need to have an unpaid heating bill
- You can either rent or own your home
How does LIHEAP work?
LIHEAP offers both cash and crisis grants. Families may apply for:
Cash grants help families pay their heating bills. The grant payment is sent directly to your utility company or fuel provider, and it will be credited on your bill. (In some cases, the check may be mailed to you directly.)
Crisis grants may be available if you have an emergency situation and are in jeopardy of losing your heat.
Emergency situations include:
- Broken heating equipment or leaking lines that must be fixed or replaced
- Lack of fuel
How do I apply?
- Apply online at: www.compass.state.pa.us
- Request an application by calling the Statewide
- Applications are available at your local county assistance office
To apply, you will need
- Names of people in your household
- Dates of birth for all household members
- Social Security Numbers for all household members
- Proof of income for all household members
- A recent heating bill
Who is eligible?
You may qualify for a LIHEAP grant if your income meets the following income guidelines:
You will receive a written notice that will tell you if you qualify and the amount of your grant.
2015 – 2016 LIHEAP
(For Homeowners and Renters)
1 $ 17,655
2 $ 23,895
3 $ 30,135
4 $ 36,375
5 $ 42,615
6 $ 48,855
7 $ 55,095
8 $ 61,335
9 $ 67,575
10 $ 73,815
Each Additional Person
Add $ 6,240
For 18+ years, snowflakes, social justice warriors, and the politically correct have built this blog. Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
We need your ongoing support to maintain this archive and continue the work. Please consider becoming a patron of this blog with a recurring monthly donation or make a one-time donation.
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.