Interested in helping our sisters and brothers and their families access resources with dignity and pride?
Hunger in PA is a serious issue: 1 in 7 people are not sure where their next meal is coming from. Working people with homes, families and cars. 1 in 5 children are in the same situation.
Consider this – Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank serves 120,000 people per month in 11 counties. The 2009 data from Feeding America shows that over 137,000 persons in Allegheny County alone are eligible. Clearly, people are not using this service.
The Food Bank supports the food pantries at Shepherd Wellness Center and the Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force which are aimed at their specific client base. It also supports 300 other pantries throughout the region, pantries that are accessible to LGBT persons. The Food Bank promotes tolerance and acceptance and dignity. Most of the pantry volunteers want to feed hungry people.
Our goal is two-fold
1. We want to support pantries by a series of tote/food drives throughout June. Send a message that the LGBT community cares about our neighbors struggling with hunger.
2. We want to encourage our sisters and brothers to connect with a pantry in their community.
We have several small projects in mind. And we invite you to join us. How?
- Set up a tote drive at your event in June. Dreams of Hope is collecting totes at their concert. GLSEN will be using social media to increase donations to existing drives. What can you do?
- Encourage your members and fans on social media to donate through the GLCC. They have a regular drop-off spot at the Center on Grant and they will be accepting totes at PrideFest.
- Write about the issue.Educate people on the process to find and sign up for a food pantry.
- Come up with a fabulous idea. That’s what we do well.
- Design a logo? A flyer?
- Research the data on hunger in the LGBT community.
- Add a tote drive to a potluck – that’s gay!
- Dedicate tips from a Happy Hour event to the project.
- Set up a display at your business – just for June.
- Use social media.
- Insert your idea.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24