Lent will be here in three weeks and we are revving up to bring back a popular feature #FishFryFridays – our review of regional fish fry events.
In 2014, we visited five fries. Unfortunately, we slacked off in 2015 and only visited one (or maybe two?) One of our biggest challenges is timing – Laura typically doesn’t get off work until 5 on Fridays and most of the fish fries sell out early so by the time we factor in traffic and parking, our options are limited.
So I’m changing the rules for 2016.
First, we will include “for-profit” fish fries BUT only locally owned, small establishments. No Red Lobster and no fine dining fusion fish valet parking venues. So we’ll try the fish sandwich meal at Allegheny City Market on the Northside one Friday. And we’ll take suggestions.
Second, we may include some takeout (or takeaway as I prefer to say) options, again because of being pressed for time. I know this means a ton of styrofoam boxes or does it? I include eco-factors in my assessment so this will be a new twist.
In review, the factors we assess or review include:
- Atmosphere/Volunteer Friendliness/Engagement
- Menu: variety, portions, taste and price
- LGBTQ cultural competency
- Ecofactors such as reusable/disposable items, recycling bins, takeout containers
We’d love your suggestions. To be honest, we aren’t going to have the flexibility to travel too far from home so I can’t imagine we’ll get to McKeesport or the South Hills. That’s part of the fun and the challenge. I may do one or two lunches sans Ledcat.
To suggest a fry, leave a comment with all of the details. And maybe we’ll see you in three weeks!
In 2014, we visited:
- Risen Lord Catholic Church in Marshall-Shadeland
- Coraopolis Elks in Coraopolis
- Most Holy Name of Jesus in Troy Hill
- Church of the Assumption Parish in Bellevue
- Judah Fellowship Christian Church in Central Northside
In 2015, we visited:
- Immaculate Heart of Mary in Polish Hill
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24