Ash Wednesday is fast approaching (February 18.) This means two things for me – I need to order a Mardi Gras cake lickety split and I need to prepare for the return of Fish Fry Fridays.
This feature is fun – we visit a different fish fry each Friday during Lent and share our impressions. We use the Google Map of local fish fries as a source as well as the input of our readers and friends. We assess the welcoming atmosphere, the quality and quantity of the food, accessibility and more. Our most popular rating is the mac and cheese.
In 2014, we visited
- Risen Lord Catholic Church in Marshall-Shadeland
- Coraopolis Elks in Coraopolis
- Most Holy Name of Jesus in Troy Hill
- Church of the Assumption Parish in Bellevue
- Judah Fellowship Christian Church in Central Northside
One of our constraints is distance from our home. Laura does work in an office and can’t use “Fish Fry Blogging” as a reason to leave early. So while I’d be game to try a place further away, I’d need a willing companion – it is a two person job. If you have a suggestion, pop me an email.
If you’d like us to consider your fish fry, please send us a message. The parameters are pretty simple
– must be a not for profit space (community group, church, etc) We don’t review for-profit fish fries even though we know they are often delicious
– we do not accept compensation or freebies for our reviews. we won’t even tell you when we are coming so we can experience the real deal
We’ll also be happy to actively promote fish fries that are LGBTQ welcoming. If you read the reviews, you’ll see that we do factor in how we are perceived/treated as a two middle aged lady duo. We look at being welcoming in general as a factor – take a read to see how that looks from our eyes.
Lent has 6 Fridays so our schedule will fill up fast.
So tell us what is super-awesome about your favorite Fish Fry and maybe we’ll add it to our list. Email us pghlesbian at gmail dot come please!
This blog proudly built by snowflakes, social justice warriors, and the politically correct.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.