Fun in the summertime can be had aplenty at little to no-cost for Pittsburghers.
For starters, take a look at this list of dozens of festivals scheduled throughout the region. Some are free, some have admission fees. Some of our favorites:
- Wilkinsburg Art in the Park (Thursdays)
- Pittsburgh Blues Festival (July)
- African Arts in the Park (August)
- Three Rivers Arts Festival
- Summer Reading Extravaganza
Then there’s music! The Post-Gazette has the scoop on the best free concerts in the park this summer.
- Great Big Sea (Hartwood Acres in July)
- David Cassidy (South Park in July)
- SixPence None the Richer (South Park in July)
- Rickie Lee Jones (Hartwood Acres in August)
- Tons of tribute bands scheduled (North Shore – all summer)
- Don’t forget Adam Lambert!
And movies! What would summer be without movies in the park? You can catch family flicks, adventure, rom-com and more.
- Arsenal Park (Lawrenceville)
- Schenley Park (Squirrel Hill)
- Grandview Park (Mt. Washington)
- Highland Park (Highland Park)
- Riverview Park (Observatory Hill)
- Overlook Park (West End)
Be sure to check out the Allegheny County Parks website for a list of movies showing in various county parks.
So festivals, concerts and movies – that’s three types of many, many free things taking place this summer. But the title says five?
How about trails, trails, trails? You can walk, ride, run, skate, meander, wander, dance, hop or whatever you want to on the wonderful trails throughout the region – this link takes you to trails in multiple counties. There’s info on everything from parking to bathrooms to interesting things to see. Get out and explore your region!
Finally, there’s the wonderful regional asset – the library! Check out the events page on the Carnegie Library site for a list of interesting activities for you and the whole family. Remember, you can check out more than books – DVDs, CDs, and even video games. There are many libraries along the bus line so you can take yourself on over to spend an especially hot (or rainy) summer day enjoying the public assets purchased with your tax dollars.
What kinds of things do you enjoy in the summer months on a budget?
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24
This post and/or others may contain affiliate links. Your purchase through these links support our work. You are under no obligation to make a purchase.