Nino Fortson was a 36-year-old Black trans man living in Atlanta. Today, we learn he is the 10th transgender neighbor lost to a violent death in 2018.
[He] was shot multiple times during an argument early in the morning of May 13 at the corner of Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway and Woods Dr NW
As you probably guessed, the initial news report on CBS46 misgendered our brother.
According to the misgendering CBS46 report, Atlanta PD was executing a traffic stop nearby, heard the gunfire and rushed to the scene where the mortally wounded Forston was spotted. He was taken to the nearby Grady Memorial Hospital where he died from his wounds.
It has been a violent week. Just six days ago, we reported on the murder of Karla Patricia Flores-Pavon in Dallas and earlier this morning I learned that the Dallas PD have recovered the body of a deceased Black trans woman from White Rock Creek; her identity has not been released yet.
Misgendering and dead-naming Nino is part of the systemic problems that perpetuate these crimes. In this case, Nino was dead-named and misgendered by the Atlanta media and on the police documentation.
If you have information in Nino’s murder, please call Atlanta Crime Stoppers at 404-577-TIPS (8477).
Rest in power, Nino. You deserved a long life and in death, you deserve respect, accuracy, & dignity. Your name in being shouted and lifted up throughout the world as people seek justice for your murder.
The list of trans people killed in 2018 so far. Note that people and outlets reporting on these crimes have different numbers based on different factors. The most important thing that unites us all is that we want the violence to stop. We need to keep asking ‘Where is the outrage?’ During 2017, we lost at least 25 trans neighbors. May 2018 be more merciful.
- Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien – Massachusetts (January 6) 42 years old
- Viccky Gutierrez – Los Angeles (January 9), 33 years old
- Tonya ‘Kita’ Harvey – Buffalo (February 6), 35 years old
- Celine Walker – Jacksonville, Florida (February 4), 36 years old
- Phylicia Mitchell – Cleveland (February 23), 46 years old
- Zakaria Fry – Stanley, New Mexico (February 19), 28 years old
- Amia Tyrae Berryman – Baton Rouge (March 26), 28 years old
- Sasha Wall – Chesterfield, South Carolina (April 1), 29 years old
- Karla Patricia Pavon-Flores – Dallas (May 9), 26 years old
- Nino Fortson – Atlanta (May 13), 36 yeas old