Want to blog with us? Great!
Here’s the super-upfront caveat. We put all revenue from this blog back into the AMPLIFY project so we do not have any resources to compensate contributors. I wish that was not the case, that we could offer even a modest stipend. But I don’t want to mislead you. If AMPLIFY becomes more stable financially, that might change.
The only exception are review posts – we are often asked to preview/review cultural events (mostly music shows) with compensation in the form of tickets/passes. This includes everything from the symphony to very small shows in local performance spaces.
If you are still interested, there are two options: submitting a one-time guest blog post and becoming a more regular contributor.
Guest posts are typically focused on a timely topic, event or issue. We do not accept guest posts from advertisers. For more information on sponsoring a post (review) for your product or service, see .
One example might be a guest post on a piece of legislation. Another might be an ‘open letter’ format on a current event.
Regular contributors make a long-term commitment to create content. There’s no minimum number of posts, but if you are looking for an outlet to publish occasionally this might work for you. Topics do not have to be ‘queer’ on the surface – if you read the archives, you’ll see that I blog about my cats, genealogy, great restaurants, community events, etc. Writing about everyday life as a queer disabled middle aged woman is inherently queer blogging. The same holds true for you.
You retain the right to your writing. If you republish elsewhere, we ask that you acknowledge it was published here with a link. If you post something here published elsewhere, we ask you to acknowledge that with a link to their site. You give us the right to share your content on our platforms.
If you join our team, you don’t have to agree with all of our views. But you definitely should be a feminist, you should be a strong ally to the BTQIA+ members of our community regardless of your own identity and you should be able to live within our constraints around publication. Not everyone can do that so no worries if this is not a good fit for you.
Here’s how to get your dialogue started. Email pghlesbian at gmail dot com with some sentences about your interest-level, your experience and what types of blog posts you might like to write. Links and attachments with writing samples are great. I’ll respond and we can see what magic happens from there.
- 18+ (I’ll work with younger contributors with the involvement of a responsible adult)
- Live or have ties to Western Pennsylvania
- LGBTQ identified; allies are welcome to submit guest posts
- Familiarity with WordPress is a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with the blog is essential. Please browse the site and the archives before you email me. Take a look at how we format bylines, use tags, comments, etc
- We do not accept interns, but if you need someone to sign off on your work for a class – I have a MSW, Ledcat has a law degree and so we can do our best to help you out
- Be comfortable with the distinction between a blog post and a blog. It is a huge pet peeve of mine. It also helps if you write in a journal versus journaling in a journal, but that’s not directly relevant.
Still reading? Great.
I look forward to hearing from you. Be sure to mention the phrase ‘I read the entire post’ in your email. 🙂
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24