Her name was Rikkey Outumuro, also known by her stage name Tru Starlet. Rikkey was a 39-year-old Latina transgender woman and performer. She was fatally shot in Centralia, Washington, on the night of Oct. 30 or the morning of Oct. 31, 2021.
Rikkey was killed by her 28-year-old boyfriend who shot her at least five times and left her body on their sofa, next to their six-year-old son. The killer is in jail without bail, charged with first degree murder and other charges. He has a history of gun violations. Their son is with Rikkey’s family.
Rikkey died due to domestic violence, a scourge that often is overlooked in the LGBTQ community. According to HRC:
Tragically, interpersonal violence accounts for a significant number of fatalities against transgender and gender non-conforming people. In 2020, approximately seven in ten transgender and gender non-conforming people killed as a result of fatal violence were killed by an acquaintance, friend, family member or intimate partner. Unfortunately, the relationship of the victim to the killer is still unknown for close to one-third (30%) of all known cases. This means that anywhere from 44% to 74% of victims since 2013 were violently killed by someone they knew, including intimate partners, family members, friends, peers and acquaintances.
Additionally, according to the 2015 United States Transgender Survey, 54% of transgender and non-binary people have experienced some form of intimate partner violence in their life.
Rikkey’s friends and loved ones are sharing their fond memories across social media. She is remembered as an active and ardent member of the queer community, a frequent performer at local Pride events, and a vibrant friend.
She was always profoundly herself and a brilliant light for countless loved ones and folx in Centralia and Olympia, WA.
Rikkey is the forty-fourth trans, nonbinary or gender nonconforming person reported killed in 2021. Thirty-nine of these neighbors have been BIPOC. 29 of these victims were under the age of 30. That we know of, as many deaths go unreported or unacknowledged. Since January 1, 2021, there has been a murder every 6.9 days on average. I also noticed that Rikkey at age 39 is the fifh oldest victim of this terror campaign in 2021. Three of the four most recent reported deaths have been in the Pacific Northwest.
Here in Pittsburgh as I write this, I think of Chyna Carrillo, another trans Latina who was murdered by a boyfriend – a man with a previous conviction of murder who served less than ten years for killing his 20-year-old wife. Had he been sentenced properly, he would not have been able to kill Chyna. Had we the guts to enact meaningful gun control legislation, to create strong domestic violence prevention programs, to recognize that violence against all women is violence against all women. Had we the will to do these things …
The total number of transgender, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming persons murdered in 2021 now equals 2020, a record breaking year going back as long as the data has been tracked. And there are still two months to go. And I’m already investigating another reported homicide.
44 lives gone and 44 families lives shattered. Ranging in age from 16 to 49.
44 is a number so many fox have dreaded these past months and now that it is here, we have to face the reality that in this culture of transphobia toxicity, it will continue to rise. When I share these posts on social media, I often see comments like “When will this stop?” and the answer is when we stop tolerating this form of terror. When organizations with multimillion budgets and national LGBTQIA+ foundation invest in trans led efforts. It is not going to stop til we wise up.
Friends have arranged a crowdfund and a Facebook fundraiser to support Rikkey’s son and other family members. Hope Alliance of Lewis County has arranged a vigil on Friday, November 5 from 6-7 PM at Pine Street Plaza.
This event is to honor the life and legacy of a devoted queer activist, advocate, and pioneer who endlessly worked to improve the lives of the trans and queer community within Lewis County.
Rest in power, Rikkey. You brought so much to your community and family. It is horrifying that you lost your life at the hands of someone who was supposed to love you. Your friends and true loved ones have rallied to seek justice in your name, protect others from a violent predator, and ensure your son is safe. I am so sorry we did not create a safer world for you, a world where you could be safe in your own home. Thank you for all that you did to create a better world. May we carry that light forward.
May your memory be a revolution.
Our list of transgender, gender, and non-binary neighbors lost to violence in 2021. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
- Tyianna Davarea Alexandra — Chicago, Illinois. January 6, 2021. Age 28.
- Samuel Edmund Damián Valentín — Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. January 9, 2021. Age 21.
- Dominique Jackson — Jackson, Mississippi. January 25, 2021. Age 30.
- Bianca ‘Muffin’ Bankz — Atlanta, Georgia. January 21, 2021. Age 31.
- Fifty Bandzzz — Baton Rouge, Louisiana. January 28, 2021. Age 21.
- Alexus “Kimmy” Braxton — Miami, Florida. February 4, 2021. Age 45.
- Chynaa Carrillo — New Wilmington, Pennsylvania. February 18, 2021. Age 24.
- Jeffrey ‘JJ’ Bright — Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 16.
- Jasmine Cannady — Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 22.
- Jenna Franks — Jacksonville, North Carolina, February 24, 2021. Age 34. **
- Diamond Nicole ‘Kyree’ Sanders — Cincinnati, Ohio. March 3, 2021. Age 23.
- Rayanna Pardo — Los Angeles, California, March 17, 2021. Age 26. ***
- Aidelen Evans — Port Arthur, Texas, March 2021. Age 24 ****
- Dominique Lucious — Springfield, Missouri, April 8, 2021. Age 26.
- Jaida Peterson — Charlotte, North Carolina, April 4, 2021. Age 29.
- Remy Fennell — Charlotte, North Carolina, April 15, 2021. Age 28.
- Tiara Banks — Chicago, Illinois, April 21, 2021. Age 26.
- Natalia Smüt Lopez — San Jose, California, April 23, 2021. Age 24.
- Tiffany Thomas — Dallas, Texas, April 21, 2021. Age 38.
- Iris Santos — Houston, Texas, April 23, 2021. Age 22.
- Jahaira M. DeAlto — Boston, Massachusetts, May 2, 2021. Age 42.
- Keri Washington — Clearwater, Florida, May 1, 2021. Age 49.
- Danny Henson — Baltimore, Maryland, May 4, 2021. Age 31.
- Whispering Wind Bear Spirit — York, Pennsylvania, May 4, 2021 Age 41
- Sophie Vasquez — Atlanta, Georgia, May 4, 2021. Age 36.
- Serenity Hollis — Albany, Georgia, May 8, 2021. Age 24.
- Oliver “Ollie” Taylor — Gervais, Oregon, May 19, 2021. Age 27.
- Thomas Hardin — York, South Carolina, May 2, 2021. Age 35.
- Poe Black / Oliver Jackson — Slab City, Niland, California, May 11, 2021 (estimated). Age 21.
- EJ Boykin / Novaa Watson — Lynchburg, Virginia, May 14, 2021. Age 23.
- Taya Ashton — Suitland, Maryland, July 17, 2021. Age 20.
- Shai Vanderpump — Trenton, New Jersey, July 30, 2021. Age 23.
- Tierramarie Lewis — Cleveland, Ohio, June 12, 2021. Age 30.
- Miss CoCo — Dallas, Texas, August 7, 2021. Age 44.
- Pooh Johnson — Shreveport, Louisiana, August 23, 2021. Age 25.
- Disaya Monaee Smith — Dolton, Illinois, September 6, 2021. Age 32.
- Brianna Ulmer Hamilton — Chicago, Illinois, September 17, 2021. Age 25.
- Kier Laprice (Kartier) Solomon — Dallas, Texas, September 30, 2021. Age 21.
- Royal Poetical Starz — Miami Gardens, Florida, October 2, 2021. Age 26.
- Mel Robert Groves — Jackson, Mississippi, October 11, 2021. Age 25.
- Zoella “Zoey” Rose Martinez – Seattle, Washington, August 31, 2021. Age 20.
- Jo Acker– Boise, Idaho, October 25, 2021. Age 26.
- Jessi Hart – Banks, Oregon, early October 2021. Age 42.
- Rikkey Outumuro – Centralia, Washington, October 30 or 31, 2021. Age 39.
We are also still monitoring these suspicious deaths from 20/21 (in addition to the 44 documented killings.)
Haven Bailey — Villa Park, Illinois, May 24, 2021. Age 25.