On Thursday, April 8, 2021, a 26-year-old Black trans woman named Dominique Lucious was murdered in Springfield, Missouri. From KY3 television (deadnaming at original article);
[She] was fatally shot Thursday morning in the 900 block of North Main Avenue. Officers responded to heard gunshot fire just before 7 a.m. Police say the victim died after being shot in the chest. Later Thursday, officers responded to the 1000 block of East Commercial Street. Police were serving a warrant at a home believed to be connected to the investigation.
Police have made an arrest – Charles Nelson, 28, of Springfield. He has been booked into the Greene County Jail for second-degree murder, according to the Springfield Police Department.
Dominique Lucious was born in St. Louis, Missouri and most recently lived in Springfield, Missouri. She went to the St. Louis Job Corp Center. Dominique was described by friends as “fierce, glam, and hunny gorgeous!” Dominique’s social media profiles use the name “Dominique” but the Springfield Police insist on using her dead name, a very close variation. They insist this is correct and they do consistently refer to her using appropriate pronouns and gender identity. I’m using the name she used on her social media profiles.
Dominique is the fifteenth trans, nonbinary or gender nonconforming person reported killed in 2021. Fourteen of these neighbors have been BIPOC. She is the eleventh victim who identified as Black. Dominique is one of nine victims under the age of 26. In total, there have been FIFTEEN murders or suspicious deaths in the first 77 days of 2021, an average of one death every 6.5 days. So far. That we know of as many deaths go unreported or unacknowledged. Note – in this summary, I include suspicious deaths that as you can read below are often later confirmed homicides.
There is no word yet on final arrangements.
Rest in power, Dominique. Your life and death deserve to be acknowledged. You deserved many more years filled with joy, happiness, and the chance to be your authentic self. I am so sorry this was ripped away from you. Your name will not be forgotten. May your memory be a revolution.
This is our list of transgender, gender-nonconforming, and non-binary neighbors lost to violence in 2021. Please do not copy or share this list without attribution.
- Tyianna Davarea Alexandra – Chicago, Illinois. January 6, 2021. Age 28.
- Samuel Edmund Damián Valentín – Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico. January 9, 2021. Age 21.
- Dominique Jackson – Jackson, Mississippi. January 25, 2021. Age 30.
- Bianca ‘Muffin’ Bankz – Atlanta, Georgia. January 21, 2021. Age 31.
- Fifty Bandzzz – Baton Rouge, Louisiana. January 28, 2021. Age 21.
- Alexus “Kimmy” Braxton – Miami, Florida. February 4, 2021. Age 45.
- Chynaa Carrillo – New Wilmington, Pennsylvania. February 18, 2021. Age 24.
- Jeffrey ‘JJ’ Bright – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 16.
- Jasmine Cannady – Ambridge, Pennsylvania. February 22, 2021. Age 22.
- Jenna Franks – Jacksonville, North Carolina, February 24, 2021. Age 34. **
- Diamond Nicole ‘Kyree’ Sanders – Cincinnati, Ohio. March 3, 2021. Age 23.
- Rayanna Pardo – Los Angeles, California, March 17, 2021. Age 26. ***
- Aidelen Evans – Port Arthur, Texas, March 2021. Age 24 ****
- Dominique Lucious – Springfield, Missouri, April 8, 2021. Age 26.
** Jenna’s death was originally reported as suspicious, but has since been reported as a homicide. *** Rayanna’s cause of death was originally undetermined, but has since been reported as a homicide. **** Aidelen’s cause of death was unspecified, but has since been reported as a homicide
We are also still monitoring these supicious deaths from 20/21 (in addition to the 44 documented killings.)
- Fendi Mon’ezah Armstrong – Lithonia, Georgia, November 11, 2020. Age 39
- Kimberely Patricia Cope – Athens, Georgia, December 27, 2020. Age 40.
- Natasha Keianna – Detroit, Michigan, January 12, 2021. Age 37.
- Bonaire ‘Bonnie’ Black – Atlanta, Georgia, December 31, 2020. Age 19.