Today, we acknowledge and commemorate the lives of our trans siblings & neighbors who have lost their lives to violence this past year via the Trans Day of Remembrance #TDOR. Since early 2013, I have tried diligently to write one blog post for each person so I can use a proper photo, use their lived (‘real’) name and write something about their actual lived lives. It is one blog project of which I am immeasurably proud and deeply horrified to continue.
This year, I am honoring the TDOR by sharing their names AND also by sharing the names of the 37 transgender neighbors who have contributed their stories to the Amplify LGBTQ project.
I believe that the power of sharing our stories is one solution to the epidemic of violence against trans people. I also believe that NOW more than ever we must, must, must stand in total solidarity with the trans community and not waiver. No legislative compromise, no concessions, no ‘us now, them later’ tactics. We must be steadfast in centering the trans community, especially trans women of color, in all of our efforts.
So today, I am asking you to take some time to read these 37 stories and to read the list of actual trans people who were murdered this past year from as close as Philly, Columbus and Cleveland.
Because Storytelling is Solidarity.
Here is a list of the neighbors lost during 2016.
- Monica Loera – Austin, Texas (January 22)
- Jasmine Sierra – Bakersfield, California (January 22)
- Kayden Clarke – Mesa, Arizona (February 4)
- Maya Young – Philadelphia (February 20)
- Suspicious death of Veronica Cano – San Antonio (February 20)
- Demarkis Stansberry – Baton Rouge (February 27)
- Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson – Burlington, Iowa (March 2)
- Quartney Davia Dawsonn-Yochum (Kourtney Yochum) – Los Angeles (March 22)
- Shante Thompson – Houston (April 9)
- Keyonna Monroe Blackeney – Rockville, MD (April 16)
- Reecey Walker – Wichita (May 1)
- Mercedes Successful – Haines City, FL (May 15)
- Amos Beede (Burrlington, VT), 38 years old
- Goddess Diamond (New Orleans, LA), 20 years old
- Dee Dee Dodds (Washington D.C.), 22 years old
- Dee Whigham (Biloxi, Mississippi), 25 years old
- Skye Mockabee – Cleveland (July 30) 26 years old
- Erykah Tijerina – El Paso (August 8) 36 years old
- Rae’Lynn Thomas – Columbus (August 10) 28 years old
- T.T. Saffore – Chicago (September 11) 26 or 27 years old
- Lexxi Sironen – Maine (September 6) 43 years old
- Crystal Edmonds – Baltimore (September 16) 32 years old
- Jazz Alford – Birmingham (September 23) 30 years old
- Brandi Bledsoe – Cleveland (October 8) 32 years old
- Noony Norwood – Richmond (November 6) 30 years old