When was the last time a movie, a book, or a television show left you cold despite all your friends (and/or all the critics) raving about it? What was it that made you go against the critical consensus?
There are so many reasons I should love “True Blood” and yet I am no friend of Bill C. Or any of the characters.
Reasons I *should* like this show
- I lived in Louisiana for three years
- Books to be read along with the series
- The name Sookie
- Anna Paquin is part of the LGBTQ community
So we ordered Season One from Netflix and gave it a go. I was ready to tune out by the second episode, but hung in there with Ledcat.
I found the show too gross for my taste and most of the characters were dull dull dull especially that Bill.
That’s really it. Gross means I’m not going to hang in there whereas simply dull means I might have tried another few episodes. I just read through the Wikipedia entry on the show to remember what I watched those few years ago and realized that it is more convoluted than an Anne Rice script.
I don’t tend to like violence or gore. Perhaps I read too many news stories about LGBTQ people experiencing both on a regular basis (and not by artistic choice) so it is just not for me.
Other contenders for this list:
– the movie Eat Pray Love was possibly the most abysmal Julia Roberts vehicle ever. Of course she was standing with the boat at the end. Of course she was. Uuuuggghhhhh.
– Arrested Development lost me with the cousin incest kissing. It didn’t seem awkwardly funny, just ick.
– Harry Potter movies just never grabbed me like the books so I stopped going. I do love the actors though.
Give me a good soap opera any day.
Join the Steel City Snowflakes with a one time or recurring investment in our projects. Click the image to see our current snowflakes.
Follow us on Twitter @Pghlesbian24