Uganda’s much promised “Kill the Gays” bill has made its way on to the legislative agenda with the sponsor urging the legislative body to pass this bill as a “Christmas gift” to the nation.
The law will broaden the criminalization of same-sex relationships by dividing homosexuality into two categories; aggravated homosexuality and the offense of homosexuality.
‘Aggravated homosexuality’ is defined as gay acts committed by parents or authority figures, HIV-positive people, pedophiles and repeat offenders. If convicted, they will face the death penalty.
The ‘offense of homosexuality’ includes same-sex sexual acts or being in a gay relationship, and will be prosecuted by life imprisonment.
Originally put to government in 2009, the Anti-Homosexuality Bill had been temporarily shelved because of international criticism.
(h/t Gay Star News)
So understand this – under this bill, Ledcat and I would possibly receive life imprisonment. For being together. Many of our friends who have children would face the death penalty.
This is clearly not good.
Let me please make something else crystal clear to you both as a message and a practical reality.
- You spend money on a sandwich, waffle fries and milkshake at Chick-fil-A franchise near your home.
- The franchise pays a licensing and other fees to the corporate offices.
- The corporation donates money to the WinShape Foundation.
- The WinShape Foundation makes a grant to the American Family Association and others.
- Meanwhile, Congress considers a resolution condemning the above named legislation.
- The AFA and others use their funding to lobby against the resolution.
That’s how it works. It doesn’t matter if 1/10 of a cent you spent ends up in the grant. It doesn’t matter how you rationalize and justify it. The line is clear. You most likely are on the side of the line that would not end up in jail. Or dead. Is it really worth it? Can you look me in the eye and explain this? Can you begin to imagine what would happen to people if this discussion, much less the legislation gains traction?
What does this mean?
- Sign the petition
- Stop feeding the machine. Eat local?
I don’t want to wake up tomorrow and have to add “not going to be imprisoned for being gay” to my gratitude list.